Author Topic: Parish Register of Horncastle or Wainfleet, Lincolnshire  (Read 28151 times)

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Register of Horncastle or Wainfleet, Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 June 11 20:54 BST (UK) »
I hope all went well in the floods.
I have found in Picture Qld several pictures of Markwells. One is Georgina Markwell, and seems to be  the second wife of William aka John Morley Markwell. Another is simply John Markwell and is undated.
Also, there is some secondary information abouy William and his family on free pages rootsweb denise's family and in Genealogy Forum: Markwell.

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 June 11 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for the tip about the photos.   I had a photo of Georgina Markwell when she married at 18 years of age.  She was an outstandingly beautiful young women.  The photo on the website was taken after she had given birth to 10 children in 15 years, what a difference!   She died the following year.  I think it is too easy to forget just how lucky modern women are to have access to decent birth control.

I am getting my extensive Markwell tree sorted out and will post it on World Connect shortly.

Auchenflower didn't fare too well in the floods but thankfully Moorlands and Markwell St are in the higher areas so no problems there.

Andcarred   
Allwood-Birmingham-Australia
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Dewsbury-Sutton Bonnington, Notts
Wood-Leeds/Huddersfield, Yorks
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 00:04 BST (UK) »
She was still a pretty beautiful. Women really did have it tough back then.
I look forward to seeing your tree on World Connect. Please let me know, too, if you find out anything about Thomas's migration.
By the way, there is also a ton of information about Markwells on pgv.cliftonwebz.com

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 July 11 22:08 BST (UK) »
I now have a semi - breakthrough and a snag. I explored World Connect using Thomas Markwell with spouse Dickinson. I thought I'd found that Thomas, Harriet and family emigrated in 1862 on the Erin - go -bragh, but this isn't borne out by the passenger lists and other information on free pages about Erin - go - bragh. Also, those sites on World Connect ascribe Thomas's father Bartholomew different parents from all those I've previously found and Family Tree Maker's Bell Clan and Families. Freereg gives children of John and Sarah Markwell at St Mary in Horncastle Lincolnshire baptisms as Frances, John, W'm and Sam'l., but I haven't found Bartholomew's birth or baptism there and his burial doesn't show parents there. What do you think?

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 July 11 22:24 BST (UK) »
Marriage 31 Jan 1840 at Wainfleet All Saints
Thomas MARKWELL (son of Bartholomew) to Harriett DICKINSON (dau of JOhn)

Perhaps you have seen the register for Bart's marriage, or perhaps you haven't http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=569302&iid=361405

(of course, "of Horncastle" is place of residence, not place of birth)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 04:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that amazing site, with primary source images. I hadn't seen it before. I had the date of that marriage, but from secondary sources.
Now i'll search it further for Bartholomew's parents and so much more!

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 August 11 08:01 BST (UK) »
More about a John Markwell and other Markwells came from the search markwell "city pf Brisbane", this being the ship Thomas and family came on, as was obvious in the newspaper report about his death, if it had only clicked at the time. One of the sites from this search is from UQ archaeology in relation to the northern links project. It talks about John Markwell's acguisitions in Auchenflower and Kelvin Grove: Another from chapel hill leads to one from Logan City Council, about a burial plot for the descendants of Samuel Markwell's daughter Mary Ann. Logan Council has a lot about Samuel and his family too.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 October 11 08:38 BST (UK) »
I've been further exploring Lincs to the Past. I still haven't come up with Bart's birth, but I now have his wife Sarah's baptism, I believe, in Hameringham Par 1/1 on p. 2 of 12 in 1778. I'm up to p. 8 and now have the birth and baptism of her illegitimate daughter Rose to George Rose 1796, before her marraige to Bartholomew in Hameringham in 1798. Thanks so much again for that great site.
I also have the births of several of Bartholomew and Sarah's children in Horncastle, but not yet the William or John Morley Markwell of this thread.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 29 October 11 19:32 BST (UK) »
I am bookmarking this thread as by reading some of the names involved and the locality e.g. Dickinson it is possible there might be closer links to my tree come to light. Will help accordingly.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)