Author Topic: Parish Register of Horncastle or Wainfleet, Lincolnshire  (Read 28157 times)

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Register of Horncastle or Wainfleet, Lincolnshire
« Reply #36 on: Friday 17 February 12 20:11 GMT (UK) »
a couple of corrections there: In Friskney Par 1/ 6 I meant baptisms not births and Harriet's was p. 61 not 51.

Offline Old Moon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 18 February 12 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth was bap in Croft.  I also have young William being bap in Croft. 

I am assuming that this means the parish moved them on because they did not want them.

I have received from other Wilkinson descendants a Will for John when he died.  It is not such a brilliant Will because it does not name his children other than his son John.  But it appears that he made a second marriage to Hannah Shuttlewood.  There is a burial for Elizabeth in Croft in 1833. 

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 18 February 12 08:25 GMT (UK) »
But it appears that he made a second marriage to Hannah Shuttlewood.

He is described as a bachelor in the register http://www.lincstothepast.com/Marriages/514884.record?ImageId=25709&pt=T

Note: a more common version of her name would be SHUTTLEWORTH. :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 18 February 12 22:33 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that that could still be our John Wilkinson, with some error or untruth about being a bachelor. It wasn't his town. It says he was from Wainfleet All Saints.
I can't access census households from home, but Robinson Wilkinson of the right age is in Wainfleet All Saints on the 1841 and 1851 census, and so are people of approximately the right names and ages.

Offline Old Moon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 18 February 12 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Yet, this has thrown me a bit.  I will look at the parish records later when I have time. 

However, in the moment I am concerned that John Wilkinson was 'moved on' by the parish.  Indicating to me poor financial circumstances. 

Then we have John Wilkinson dying and having enough means to leave a Will.  We could suggest the the money came from his new wife Hannah.  However, in the Will it says that it is only hers if she remains unmarried.  If the money was hers to begin with this hardly seems credible. 

Offline Old Moon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 18 February 12 23:23 GMT (UK) »
On the other side of the argument though is the names of Robinson Wilkinson and Harriet's daughters.

First one is Elizabeth.  Presumably after Elizabeth Markwell and/or Elizabeth Robinson.

Second daughter is Hannah.  I have thought that this must be after Robinson's step-mother. 

John refers to her in his Will as 'my dear wife'.  I thought she might have been especially nice woman and good to her step-children.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 19 February 12 05:33 GMT (UK) »
It's all puzzling. I'm a descendant of Thomas, not Elizabeth, but this is interesting.
There's a thread about removal orders in beginners. From a reading of it, it sounds like John might have been born in Friskney. Could that be right? In their marriage record Lincs to the Past Marriages Croft Par/ 1/ 7 p. 10/ 19 # 37, it says both were of Croft, but it also says Elizabeth was a minor and had the consent of her parents. There is, as you say, a baptismal record for Elizabeth in General Register Croft baptisms 1803, so her place of settlement should have been Croft. By the way, it looks like maybe 7th August and parents John Robinson and Susanna. Is that right?
Could they have been temporarily poor?

Offline Old Moon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 25 February 12 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to take so long to get back.  What is more I don't know how to answer.  I don't know what is right anymore.

I have John Wilkinson b 1803 Wainfleet to John Wilkinson and Dinah Tuck.

I have John and Elizabeth's first dau Mary Ann b 1824 Wainfleet
                                            then son William b 1826 Croft
                                            then Robinson, Harriet and Joseph b 1828-32 Friskney
John and Hannah's first 3, Sophia, John and William b 1835-38 Wainfleet
                                  then next 6 b 1840-49 in Friskney

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

Offline Old Moon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 25 February 12 09:44 GMT (UK) »
I have to notice that Elizabeth was buried Nov 1833 in Croft and Hannah married June 1834 and the children kept coming as if nothing had happened.