Author Topic: Parish Register of Horncastle or Wainfleet, Lincolnshire  (Read 28155 times)

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Register of Horncastle or Wainfleet, Lincolnshire
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 25 February 12 19:40 GMT (UK) »
It's great you persisted and got all that. The movements do seem to make sense to me. If John was born in Wainfleet (Markwell central by the way), then moved to Elizabeth's home parish, Croft, to marry Elizabeth, then it makes sense for them to be moved on when they were poor. I don't know why to Friskney. Perhaps it's close and Croft paid for the removal.
I sounds like they stayed at Friskney until Elizabeth's death and then he moved home to Wainfleet.
There he looks like he took a trip to Alford to marry Hannah as a bachelor and came home to Wainfleet with her for a while. Then maybe he went back to Friskney.
During the time after Croft, he must have amassed some finances. Perhaps he had an inheritance.
I do love this stuff.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 25 February 12 20:09 GMT (UK) »
I've been back to looking at Thomas and Harriet and their ancestors.
With Harriet, I've been looking at the family of John Dickinson and Mildred Sebright in more detail. I started with Edward and found his marriage to Sabina Showler. I ran into trouble with Mary. I've found a few alternatives for her, and should probably start a Dickinson thread somewhere else ... Lincolnshire rather than Lincolnshire Lookups?
With Thomas, I'm still hitting brick walls about his re-burial. I'm guessing he's still under Suncorp  stadium somewhere. His sister Mary who married West Morly Ling seems to have died almost as soon as she got here to Moreton Bay from the Fortitude. Her death is registered in Qld, with her burial mentioned. Then both of these are also registered in NSW, in Morpeth. West took his family there, and maybe her remains???
Brisbane History, Brisbane City Council, Aust cem index and Chapel Hill sites all have good info about the old cemetery. I'm looking now at the Mary Ann mentioned, who seems to be Isaac's wife & to have been re-buried at Toowong along with Costins, her daughter Mary's family.  William (John Morley)'s first wife Mary Ann Izard also seems not to have been re-buried.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 25 February 12 21:17 GMT (UK) »
about Toowong cemetery: "along with" just meant they were reburied there too. Mary Ann née Harris was buried in Portion 1 Section 35 grave 5 with Isaac, 2 of their children and his 2nd wife Ann Rhodes. This is the grave next to grave 6 where William (John Morley) Markwell, Georgina and some children from his 2nd and 3rd marriages are buried. The Costins are in Pn 13 Sn 38 grave 22.
By the way, Brisbane History about the Paddington cemetery links to a pic of John's son, Henry John Isaac Markwell. I don't know about his re-burial either.

Offline Old Moon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 25 February 12 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the encouragement and useful information with Elizabeth Markwell's family.  Always here if you discover something more.  Or if I can help.

However, I don't get involved with the rest of the Markwells.  Especially the ones that came to Moreton Bay.  There are too many very knowledgable people around on that subject.  I take notes of what everyone says but everything I have is someone else's research.  When I started this over 30 years ago someone was very helpful and sent info and certificates.  If you think I have certificates that you don't just say the word.

Also I borrowed a large Markwell book and gleaned what I could out of that. 

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 26 February 12 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Old Moon. I might very well do that. It sounds like you have a lot. I will also get back to your Elizabeth at some stage.
Right now I've been diverted by that grave of ?William (John Morley ) Markwell. Some of the people there seem to have been reburied there in 1879. This is in agreement with Ian's Genealogy pages.
What's concerning me is John himself. Several sources say this is William (John Morley), and e.g. Ian's genealogy pages and ancestors of a Qld family seem to have good sources for this. However the only Qld bdm index entry I can find for 1881 that could relate is for John Markwell with parents Benjamin Markwell and Emily Izard???
In world connect in the eringobragh1862 database, there is mention of an Emily Izard Markwell, but I found this more confusing.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 27 February 12 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Friskney Lincs is close to Croft and Wainfleet, they are all located along with Thorpe between Boston and Skegness, closer to Skegness than Boston. My suggestion is that there is a liklihood the same farmer owned farms in more than one of the villages involved.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 27 February 12 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.
Also, my confusion with the entry about Emily Izard Markwell was not with her, but with her parents. They have Isaac Beecham Markwell not as her father, but as her grandfather. Her father there is Isaac and grandmother Helen Milne.

Offline Old Moon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 02:25 GMT (UK) »
I found the baptisms/ christenings of some other children of George and Sarah Rose - p. 51 of 83 was Edwin 1806 p. 53 of 83 was Ann 1808 & p. 56 of 83 was John 1809. By this time our Sarah Jeffery was married to Bartholomew, so perhaps it wasn't her who had the 1st illegitimate child, Rose, or maybe he married another Sarah.

It would be interesting to find a marriage for George ROSE. 
I am inclined to think that Rose was the daughter of our Sarah JEFFERY.  Elizabeth MARKWELL's daughter Harriet ATKIN/WILKINSON named one of her daughters Rose Jeffries WILKINSON.

Offline Old Moon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 05:24 GMT (UK) »
If you look in 1841 and even better in 1851 you will see George ROSE with Sarah his wife.
George was born in Osgathorpe, Leicestershire and Sarah born in Thimbleby, Lincolnshire where they are living.

So I am thinking George did marry a Sarah but because of the name of the daughter of Harriet WILKINSON I think he had little Rose with our Sarah first.