Author Topic: Widney Works, Oldfield Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire  (Read 9313 times)

Offline Juliefrances

• RootsChat Extra
  • The West Family, Marlow
    • View Profile
Re: Widney Works, Oldfield Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
Sorry but some of your info is wrong, James moved to Maidenhead as I said sometime between the 1871 census and the 1881  census - in 1881 he was living in Grove Road,Maidenhead and in 1882, he married at St Luke's Church Maidenhead to Elizabeth Mace from North Moreton, all children except the first born James (1881 - North Moreton) were born while the family were living in Park Street Maidenhead, they lived at at least 2 different houses there, - no 18 and 37. Alice - 1883, Beatrice, 1884, Ernest 1887, Frank 1890, Nellie 1891, Herbert 1894, and William 1896.

Maidenhead used to be under Cookham Reg District until 1896 when it became a Reg District in its own right.

James was still living in Park street in 1911 census - still as a platelayer for the railway.

I have the tree back to a Nathaniel Warwick born about 1680 - married in 1700 in Wiltshire.

Julie
Berkshire - Warwick, Cox, Knight, Hicks, Randall, Ranscombe<br />Buckinghamshire - West, Thatcher, Stroud, Light, Hiscock<br />Hampshire - Light, Hiscock

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 01:03 BST (UK) »
According to my researches (and please check them!!) James Warwick moved initially to Bray around 1882, and then moved to Maidenhead between 1885 (birth of Beatrice) and Feb 1886 (birth of Ernest), although he moved back to Bray again in 1891 and was back in Maidenhead again in 1892 for the birth of his next child! 
Much of Maidenhead was in Bray parish before the proliferation of new parishes in Victorian times - so these moves could just be a matter of a few hundred yards.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline Warwick122

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 18:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the correction; I was going by the Census births but your information is obviously much more detailed and accurate.  However, it does perhaps beg the question as to why they declared the births in Bray or Maidenhead.  The comments about the changed boundaries are interesting.  Grove Road is very close to Maidenhead station in the town centre so presumably he would have been based there.

My tree for the North and South Moreton Warwicks goes back to the same point as yours, and I suspect that they probably link back to the Warwicks of Bampton and Kelmscott of the c16 and early c17 but there is no proof as yet

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 19:51 BST (UK) »
The obvious way to tell for sure would be to get the birth certificates to determine the addresses for each. Maybe there is a simple explanation, such as the mother going to the cottage hospital (opened in 1878) for the Bray births and staying at home for the Maidenhead ones.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline rutha13

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 June 12 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi I am also trying to trace the Warwick line in Bucks/Berks.
My ggfather was Edward, son of Henry Warwick and Sarah (anderson).Henry & Sarah married in Bisham in 1831.
Trying to trace Henry's birth. Logic says he is son of Robt & Mary Warwick as all shown in 1841 census in Burnham, but unable to confirm. Robt died before 1851 census, and unable to confirm an entry for Mary to see her birth place.
I am assuming that if Henry was 1st born it may have been in his mother's parish not Burnham as he states in later census records.
Cannot trace Robt & Mary's marriage, but can trace Robert back via a couple of Nathan(iel)s to early 1700's.
Just don't want to assume - Henry could be nephew or completely unrelated!
Does any one have any positive info?
Many thanks