Author Topic: CONCANNON, John Charles  (Read 4090 times)

Offline bartholemy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CONCANNON, John Charles
« on: Thursday 14 August 08 01:52 BST (UK) »
Hello.  I am trying to find my ancestor John Charles Concannon in County Galway, where he was born before emigrating to the USA.

He was born 25 May 1834 in County Galway.

He emigrated to the US, before 1858.

He was married to Mary Mahon.  He had 8 children, all born in Maryland, USA.  He lived in Maryland until after 1880, and died in Portland, OR 08 Dec 1894.

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: CONCANNON, John Charles
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 August 08 02:19 BST (UK) »
Hello bartholemy,

Welcome to RootsChat

The items listed below would make it easier to find more details of your ancestor.

1. Denomination.
2. Parish.
3. Townland.

You'll have to rely on Church records as John was born prior to the introduction of Civil Registration in Ireland. This happened in 1864. Marriages of Non Catholic were registered from 1845 onwards. Have a look at the thread headed "Advice on how to find your ancestor's home" www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,316045.0.html

Griffiths Valuation - Galway 1855 on John Hayes failteromhat.com website shows a number of Concannon families in Galway. Some may have been related to John.

Christopher

Offline bartholemy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 August 08 05:18 BST (UK) »
Christopher,

Many thanks for your prompt reply.  This is very helpful, as I have not done work on Irish records before.

I do know the denomination (Roman Catholic), but not the parish or townland.

The thread you referred me to was very informative.

Thanks again,

Ed

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 August 08 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Bartholemy,I just type in his name into IFHF (Irish family history foundation ) & I see they have just one entry  for 1834 -that could be him! I know sometimes this site can be hit or miss they charge 5euro to view,by the way its on the Galway west part of the site - Good Luck & fingers crossed.Regards Nipy

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 August 08 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Ed,

Have a look at a few sites to see if there are other people   researching Concannons. Use the Search RootsChat facility at the top of the page. Then have a look at the following link ...  http://genforum.genealogy.com/concannon ... I entered Galway in the Search facility on that site and found 113 matches. A friend of mine told me he found a living distant relative thanks to Genforum.

Oh! By the way mention RootsChat if you're posting on Genforum as it may assist in drawing new members to this site.

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 August 08 10:09 BST (UK) »
What information is on John Charles Concannon's death certificate? Many U.S. states list birthdate and places, names and birthplaces of parents etc. although bear in mind the details are supplied by an informant who may not know the answers or may be confused about spelling.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bartholemy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 August 08 00:05 BST (UK) »
What a great and helpful message board.

Nipy - I looked at John Concannon on IFHF - very promising - I may just spend the 5 Euros!

Christopher - I looked at Genforum and there is a lot of action there, I will spend some time with it today, and I will post and I will definately mention RootsChat.

agadowey - the death certificate says he was born in County Galway and the date, and both are verified from other sources.  Though my Irish relatives' birth dates have proven to be moveable feasts.

Thanks again to each of you for your help.  I have a lot of promising avenues to go down.