Author Topic: NOQUET, France, London, Oxfordshire  (Read 2314 times)

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
NOQUET, France, London, Oxfordshire
« on: Wednesday 26 January 05 19:27 GMT (UK) »
The Noquets were French Huguenot silkweavers who came to England after the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685.  Some settled in London, others moved to Bristol and Oxford, yet others went on to the USA, Canada and Australia.

I'm descended from Abraham Noquet and his wife Anne Marguerite Poulain.  Anne was, I think, his third wife, and they had several children.  Their grandson Robert (son of Robert Noquet and Ann Dore) and his wife Mary Nials, had several children including Frederick and Elizabeth.  Elizabeth married Benjamin Dodge, a journeyman silk weaver, in 1842 and they had at least three children - William Benjamin, Joseph and Maria.  Benjamin changed his name to Noquet for commercial reasons, confusing many genealogists who thought he was a cousin of his wife!  Maria married aged 17, Edward Lister, and their daughter Laura was my great great grandmother.
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley