Author Topic: Old Maps of Radcliffe?  (Read 5477 times)

Offline Jinxy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Maps of Radcliffe?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 August 08 06:44 BST (UK) »
Well United
I have emailed Radcliffe Library, will see what happens and then will try Bury.
Jinxy
Brown - Warner - Pye - Nash - Eustace - Robinson - McMahon - Lightfoot - Berry - Fairless - Dziunka

Offline Arnie991

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 September 08 01:45 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

I have been reading your thread and am wondering if you could help me out on some streets? In the 1841 census I think I have relatives on these streets.
1841 Census of England
Civil Parish      Prestwich cum Oldham
Hundred      Salford
County       Lancashire
Reg District      Bury
Sub Reg Dist   Pilkington
Ed institution    11
Street       Five House
How far away is it from Stand Lane and 5 Duke St. Are these streets even in Radcliffe? I live in Canada and am very confused.

Greg

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 September 08 10:07 BST (UK) »
Good morning, confused of Canada  ;D ;D

You're in luck as both streets are still there and in Radcliffe - which is next door to Prestwich and Bury. 'Prestwich cum Oldham' and 'Salford Hundred' are to do with old parish/regional boundaries that don't occur on modern maps any more.

The district now is Greater Manchaster postal district M26, so if you look on google maps or similar and search "Stand Lane, Radcliffe, Manchester, Bury, M26" you will see it. Duke St is parallel to Stand Lane and two streets away, about two minutes walk.

If you can't locate it online, post a reply & I'll attach a section of the paper map.

Good luck,
 :) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arnie991

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 September 08 23:45 BST (UK) »
Barbara

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me where Five house was as a street.

I found the map and found the other two streets.

You say Radcliffe is next door to Prestwich and Bury. from what I posted of the 1841 census where did my relatives live? Did they live in Raddcliffe?

Greg

Offline mickbirty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Michael Birtwistle born Radcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi. On the census it states that Five House were in Pilkington. Lancashire.

Pilkington was a township of Prestwich and a sub district in Bury district, Lancashire. is cut into the three sections of Outwood, Unsworth, and Whitefield or Stand; contains the hamlets of Ringley, Cinderhill, Blackford, and Hollins.

In 1835 Pilkington was a township in the parish of Prestwich.

Birtwistle. Whittle. Threlfall. Taylor. Mallalieu. Townley. Smith. Walker. Leach. Deacon.

Offline Arnie991

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 03:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael

I am confused as Barbara has said on the parish's and sub district I just found out that the info I posted about Five house is not my relatives.  I just received the marriage certificate. My G Great Grandfather William Davenport married Jane Pendlebury on May 9, 1841 at the parish of Eccles in the county of Lancastor, they lived at the time of marraige at I think Barton  (I think, the first few letters are hard to read). I know from 1851 on they lived at Stand Lane, so now I am asking where did they live. William was born in Radcliffe and Jane in Pilkington.

A little history they had a daughter born in around 1839 at least that is on the 1851 census, on the 1861 census she is born 1841. On a 1841 census I have found a Jane and Elizabeth at stand lane but no William.

Thanks again for the info,

Greg

Offline Arnie991

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 03:53 BST (UK) »
Hi again I want to add that William's father was also called William. he was a weaver and his son a cotton dyer.

Greg

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 11:16 BST (UK) »
Now I see your problem! There are a LOT of William Davenports on the 1841!! 
Addresses on marriage certs are often misleading, if the address is the same for both parties its often an 'address of convenience' and they may never have lived there. I had a cert like this & the address given turned out to be the church rectory itself.  Stand Lane is more likely home address. Maybe WIlliam is working away or visiting family on census night?

Here is a section from an old (1950s) map to show you Radcliffe in relation to Prestwich, Eccles, Patricroft and Pilkington.  Pilkington isn't named as such, but you can see Unsworth and Whitefield that Mickbirty mentioned as part of Pilkington. Radcliffe about 8 miles away from Eccles but would be very easy to get to. There is a railway line between Radcliffe & Eccles that would have been there even then (Eccles, close to scene of first ever fatal railway accident in 1830). I think they were linked by canal as well.
The map only shows main roads, but Stand Lane is there as you can see.

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk