Author Topic: Wokingham Memories It Shall Be.  (Read 61204 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Event in Berks
« Reply #36 on: Monday 06 October 08 09:39 BST (UK) »
What used to be Waitrose and its carpark is now a Marks and Spencer; with as you say the carpark by the Methodist Church and the shop in Peach Street.

A new Waitrose is now in the middle of the area between Broad Street, Rectory Road and Rose Street.  The carpark entrance is in Rectory Road with deliveries going down the road where the old Palmer School used to be.  There are pedestrian entrances from Rose Street and Broad Street, one of which goes down the left hand side of Montague House.  Nearly all of the shops and houses on that side of Broad Street back onto the carpark.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 06 October 08 12:16 BST (UK) »
Back to the original photograph.  I don't think the trees should worry you.  It is difficult to tell from the photograph but they look like Scots Pine or something similar.  They were probably felled years ago before the days of tree preservation.

I can't think of any where on Nine Mile Ride or in the Crowthorne area where the road is level and the buildings so close to the road.

David
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 06 October 08 13:44 BST (UK) »
Luckley School was established in 1918 on the site of Luckley Manor.  Oakfield School was established in the Lake District in 1895.  The two schools were amalgamated on the Wokingham site in 1959 to form Luckley Oakfield School.  They were both high class girls boarding schools.

I used to examine life saving  in the area and Luckley Oakfield was the only place where I was given tea in a cup and saucer, with biscuits on a separate plate all served on a tray with a serviette.

David

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Dad aged two in 1891
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 06 October 08 13:49 BST (UK) »

I must have missed something,?what picture are you talking about?my dad and mum lived at nine mile ride dureing the war at Rose Cottage,he grew and sold vegetables there,a painter and decorator by trade worked for Browns in Milton Rd for Years,then Road research Crowthorne.
I remember when Heelas caught fire,one of the boys in my class,his dad was a fireman,who died in the blaze.
Joyce
Hickman,Cleobury Mortimer,Shropshire/Staffordshire, Parkes,Dudley,Beddoes Lindridge,Cleobury Mortimer,
Asker,Snettisham,Norfolk,Newby Howe,Kensington,SuffolkLawrence,Greenwich,Bermondsey.Putman,Kensington,Hertfordshire.

Offline fatty fuller

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 06 October 08 18:47 BST (UK) »
i have enjoyed our trip down memory lane i to was at st chrispins from 1964-1967 with  Mr Bancroft and Mrs Andrew's mis Phipps and mis Knowles 
 my nick name was fatty fuller  any one out there i know

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Wokingham Memories It Shall Be.
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 09 October 08 05:38 BST (UK) »
I've lightened the photo for you, hopefully someone will now recognise it, though I can't :-\
If you are able to rescan the original photo at 600dpi and send it to me (pm me for my addie) I will try and blow up the sign to see if I can make out any of the lettering.
Note the very small doorway close to the sign?

ps, my goddaughter (my avatar) and her sister also went to the Holt.

The last time the Broadmoor siren went off was in the early 90's if I can recall  :o but as David mentioned it's still tested every Monday morning!
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 09 October 08 13:25 BST (UK) »
My thoughts on a date,
It looks like a happy procession and behind what looks like a bus is a horse and carriage.
Dated by the hats I would say between 1920-30, could be something to do with the marriage of George VI in April 1923, although that was at Westminster, I'm wondering if they came back to Windsor and had a local procession at some point.  Its nowhere in Windsor that I recognise on a flat road. Though there were gabled houses along the Dedworth road, the houses are not as old as the ones in this photo with the small door etc and they had small gardens to the front. :-\
I shall ask my dad if he recognises it.

Jenny
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline RanR

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 10 October 08 08:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you for lightening this.  The Dedworth Road sounds interesting although I don't know it at all.  What interests me is the background at the end of the road - is it some hills? 

As far as the Broadmoor siren is concerned, I can remember it going off about twice during my time at the Holt.  The second time was when I was in the sixth form.  Unfortunatley some of my friends had not had their indemnity form altered since our first year at the school so still had to wait at school till their parents came to collect them!  One girl ended up staying most of the evening because her mother had gone to London for the day and she wasn't allowed to walk home by herself (even though she was 17!).  Mind you, it was quite a serious escape I think.  The road blocks went up instantly and were there for about a week.

The other problem was the fact that the siren was in the top corner of Joel Park right opposite the school and near to the sixth form unit.  So when I was sitting my A level music exam in the sixth form unit, starting at 9am on a Monday morning, we had some bother trying to hold 4 part string quartet compositions in our heads while that awful siren went off for 15 minutes (siren, a short break and then the 'all clear') right next to our building.  It just wasn't in the right key at all!

My last memory of the Broadmoor siren and related topics was the WADE walk that took place every year at that time.  It was a 20 mile sponsored walk for the Woking and District Association for the Elderly and one year Jimmy Saville took part.  He did a lot of charity work with Broadmoor and the route went right past the hospital - I can remember that it was quite an impressive building with a huge craggy moat area (not filled with water) around the outer walls - pretty daunting if you were going to try to escape that way.  Jimmy Savill was wearing bright yellow platform boots for the walk that year!!

OK.  Enough reminiscing and boring you all - off to work!
Berks: MILLARD
Cornwall (west): HOSKEN, WOOLCOCK, DONNITHORNE, TREWEEK, TRESEDDER, MITCHELL, NANCARROW, REYNOLDS
Cambs/Hunts: LANGFORD, WRIGHT
Derbys: MOTTRAM
Hants/Surrey (London): BRACKSTONE, SCOREY, DENSLOW, POULTER, WYLD, KINCHIN, RANGER, LEWIS, DAVIES
Herts: JUDD, UNCLE, RUMBALL
Nth Yorks: MOON
Suffolk/Essex/Cambs: WINNY, SARGENT, DICKERSON, RUSH, WATTS, PICKESS, MASON, SCOTCHER, ADAMS, FERNSWORTH
Shropshire: GOUGH, BYWATER, POULTER
Warks/Worcs: WHITE, SALMON, WOODWARD, WIMBLETT

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 10 October 08 08:29 BST (UK) »
 :o
That's surely St Leonards Road, Windsor.
Looking up to the town.
Taken from outside the Ex-servicemans Club.
With the big Cedar tree on the left.

Isn't the pub 'The Trooper'  :-\ I'll ring my bruv...

Lesanne.

Added.... oooo  ;D  ;D I don't know now.... How many times I've walk that bit.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Berks Bucks Oxon= Norris Coxhead Turner Cox Weston Baston Simpson
Kent= Nicholls Mepstead Watts   Mile End=Craze Wood Bennett
Cork=Howe   NZ=Coxhead   Canada=Fenn Cox Turner