Author Topic: William Pilkington 1871 St.Helens  (Read 6732 times)

Offline suzywombat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Pilkington 1871 St.Helens
« on: Sunday 17 August 08 20:17 BST (UK) »
I just can't seem to find William Pilkington and his wife Eliza/Elizabeth in St.Helens in the 1871 census.  In 1861 I can find him at Eccleston Hall, Eccleston, St.Helens.  Can Anyone Help Please.

Offline luas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William Pilkington 1871 St.Helens
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 August 08 20:56 BST (UK) »
The principal seat of the family was Windle Hall, although I believe some family members lived at Rainford Hall and Crank Hall.  Both the latter would have been classed as Crank, I believe.  Rainford Hall is now Fairfield Hospital.  I'll be on later, and I'll look at a couple of local history books in the meantime.  I'm in St. Helens.

Offline suzywombat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 August 08 22:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much I really appreciate it.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 August 08 22:15 BST (UK) »
Have posted on your other post - think he is in Flintshire Wales!

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Digas1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 August 08 22:20 BST (UK) »
Is this William connected to the Pilkington family of "Pilkington Glass" fame in St Helens?  If not then a few more details will be needed.  There are anumber of William Pilkingtons in the St. Helens area in the 1871 census. 
Hollingshead (Derby), Kelly (Liverpool), Thomas (St Helena), Gaskell (Pemberton)

Offline luas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 August 08 22:52 BST (UK) »
Looking at the other thread, I think Suzard has found him in Flintshire.  I know Pilkingtons had a factory at St. Asaph, which may still be going.  I don't know if that was his only residence, or if he and the family  just happened to be there when the census was conducted.  In Worralls 1876 trade directory for St. Helens, there are listed two William Pilkingtons of Pilkington Brothers, glass manufacturers.  There is William Pilkington Esq., J.P., of Roby Hall, Liverpool.  The other is William Windle Pilkington, Esq., J.P., of Windle Hall, St. Helens.  There are a plethora of William Pilkingtons in the St. Helens online cemetery database who died towards the end of the 19th century.  Some are infants and can be eliminated.  Now I know when he was born, I can look again and find out when he died if that would be helpful.

Offline Imison1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Pilkington Glass
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know of the Pilkington's having a residence at 'The Woodlands, Newton-Le-Willows, Lancashire'?  I have a note from Colonel Pilkington (Richard b.1841) to my great grandmother on headed paper from this address and a photograph of I presume, his family in a rather plush living room.

I can find nothing on this address nor any mention of them being there (only at Rainford Hall).  I know she was employed there as Cook between 1901 and 1907.

It doesn't seem to make sense....

Any info. gladly received  ???

Imison, Imeson (Worldwide) and variations
http://web.me.com/imison/Site/Welcome.html

Offline David Garratt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 October 23 18:13 BST (UK) »
With regards to "Does anyone know of the Pilkington's having a residence at 'The Woodlands, Newton-Le-Willows, Lancashire'? "
My Great Grandfather , William Garratt , was Coachman to Col. L.E.Pilkington , and moved up here from Nottingham in 1901 as his Coachman/Chauffer .
William's address (given on my Grandfather's birth certificate in 1903) was "Woodlands Cottages , Ashton Road , Newton-le-Willows ." They were still there in 1930 according to my Grandfathers Marriage certificate .
My Great Grandfather's wife , Florence , was also a cook .
Perhaps we are related ?