Author Topic: South African Light Horse Boer War  (Read 6949 times)

Offline HeyCoop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South African Light Horse Boer War
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 08:12 BST (UK) »
Well! it looks like records for that unit are on the the National Archives UK apparently it was a British Army unit raised in South Africa ref. WO 126/131. But looks like it will have to wait, the fees are a bit high at the moment.

One to put on hold, thanks again.
Cheryl.

Offline cjref2

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South African Light Horse Boer War
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 December 12 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone who can do look ups or tell me where to look for service records for the Boer War, my grandfather Henry Langley Cooper born 8th February, 1877 in Surry Hills, Sydney, fought in the South African Light Horse Contingent during the Anglo Boer War. I have checked on Aust. War Memorial and National Archives, the only Henry Cooper that shows up is from Tasmania, whereas my grandfather was from Sydney. I have been told it's possible that his records could be listed on the British Archives, I have emailed them and waiting a reply, not sure if this will have results, and at present am trying to cover all options.
Cheryl.

Cheryl,

H.L. Cooper number 1895 definitely served with the South African Light Horse. His medals were issued 18/07/1908 to 148 Campbell Street, St Peters NSW , another address shown on the WO100 Award rolls for him is 412 Cleveland Street, Surry Hills. NSW

Colin