Author Topic: 1841/1851 Census Littlehampton  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
1841/1851 Census Littlehampton
« on: Thursday 27 January 05 10:39 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for John Faulkner, a tailor in Littlehampton, and his wife, Sarah.  I would like to know where he was born and his age.
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/1851 Census Littlehampton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 January 05 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dimps,
Can you give us some more information please, so that we might help,
Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 January 05 19:13 GMT (UK) »
John Faulkner lived and was a tailor in Littlehampton.  His will was proved in 1855, so I am assuming he was still alive in 1851.  He transferred a lease to some land in Westergate in 1842, so he was alive in 1841.  He was married to Sarah Weller, from Arundel.  They married in Arundel in 1806.  Their estates were bequeathed to nephews and nieces, so I assume they had no children of their own.

John had a brother, Thomas, variously called a higgler or huckster "of Slindon".  He married Philly Chatfield (nee Lock) in Yapton in October 1799.  Earlier that year, in Yapton, they had a son called Reuben Chatfield (AKA Faulkner).  In 1802, in Slindon, they had a daughter called Fanny and in 1806, in Slindon, they had a son called Alfred.  John and Thomas also had a sister called Frances.  She had an illegitimate son called William born, I think, in Binsted in 1824.

I don't know where John, Thomas and Frances were born or when.  Philly and Alfred died in Binsted in December 1826.  I don't know when Thomas died.  As I knew where John was living, his occupation and his wife's name and where she was from,  I thought that he would be easier to trace in a census.  This would then give me his place of birth and age.

I am descended from Philly and Thomas and their son, Reuben.

Thanks - Deborah
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 January 05 06:16 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Deborah,
I'm not going to be of much help here, but these are the marraige's of the two brother's, John being from Littlehampton at the time of his marriage & Thomas from Slindon.
Have you tried the LDS IGI index for likely birth's?  Maybe someone can look-up on the BVRI.  Also try Online Parish Clerks (OPC) to see if someonr is covering these places or the Sussex Family HIstory Group (SFHG) all these you can find through your search engine,
Jane

From the Sussex Marriage Index:
 Arundel, West Sussex,  Date: 18 Oct 1806:
 John FAULKNER, Littlehampton
 Sarah WELLER, sp otp

From the Sussex Marriage Index:
 Yapton, West Sussex,  Date:  8 Oct 1799:
 Thomas FAWKNER, [FAULKNER] Slindon
 Philadelphia CHATFIELD

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 January 05 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi - yes, I've checked the IGI and Parish Clerks Online.  Not the BRVI, though.  My parents are members of SFHG.  I have the marriages you mentioned.  Philly Chatfield was born Philly Lock and her marriage to Thomas Faulkner was her second.  The records in Chichester have been trawled through.  The only candidates so far for Thomas and John Faulkner were two boys born in Aldingbourne in 1743 and 1750, respectively - but, based on other information I have (younger sister Frances, wills, land transfers, etc) these would be too old.  It is possible that they, or their parents were not from Sussex originally - and that was why I thought the Censuses would be my best bet.

I have a photograph of a gravestone in Binsted which marks the grave of Henry Chatfield (died 1850), son of Reuben (Thomas and Philly's son) and Ruth Chatfield.  At the top of the stone, the word "Faulkner" can be made out and below that "Green" (looks like it might say Bethlehem Green - the only place I can find of this name is a Calvinistic Methodist Church in Neath, near Swansea).  I had thought the date of this death read "April 1811", but there were no burials during that month.

Back to the drawing board...

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 January 05 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the census seems you're best bet, I wish I could help there, but I can't,
Happy Hunting,
Jane