Author Topic: Janet Hetherington, Ruthwell, Dumfries  (Read 14455 times)

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Janet Hetherington, Ruthwell, Dumfries
« on: Monday 18 August 08 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi folks, I am researching the Bells and Kerrs and have gone back as far as I can, but have drawn a blank at Janet Hetherington b approx 1770 Ruthwell who married George Bell in 1798.  Their daughter mary married Francis Kerr approx 1829.
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Janet Hetherington, Ruthwell, Dumfries
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi akc any idea who the parents of Francis were. Outside chance Ihave some Kerrs, regards stoop.

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Stoop, Thanks for your reply, Francis' parents were George Kerr born approx 1784 and Mary Dickson b 1784 ( she had a twin brother called Thomas) whose parents were Thomas Dickson and Margaret Swan. They all hailed from Ruthwell, Cummertrees and Mouswald area.

AKC
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 14:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks akc will study your reply, see if there is a connection with my Kerrs. regards stoop.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 September 08 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi akc

I've just been looking for Hetherington baptisms in the area 1760-1790.

The only parents coming up for Ruthwell are Hector Hetherington and Janet Rae. There is also a Walter Hetherington in Dumfries (no mother mentioned)  and a Robert Hetherington and Mary Scott in Canonbie. Also, in Kirkcudbright are George Hetherington and Mary Robely.

Just because she married from Ruthwell does not necessarily mean that she was born/baptised there.

Do you have the names of Janet & George Bell in birth order?  This might help narrow the field if naming conventions were used. Although, given that George's parents were George and Mary , this might be a problem with the Kirkcudbright pair  :-\

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget, thanks for your reply. So far we have not found any info on Janet Hetherington apart from the fact that she was married to George Bell approx 1798. when you go on Ancestry.com there is a reference to her but it says her death/burial  was private. It says the same about 2 of her children. I have found a couple of their children who emigrated to America. There are a lot of Hetheringtons in the area but so far we,ve not  managed to connect Janet to any of them. The only Janet we have found who fits the dates was born in Longtown just across the border in England.

AKC

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi akc  :)

You mention that they had a daughter Mary who married a Francis Kerr. Do you have a record of her birth and/or her marriage that might help?

There doesn't appear to be a marriage for George and Janet  either  :-\ So far, these are the children of George Bell and Janet Hetherington that I've found on the IGI:

Cummertrees
:
1799 - Rachel
1804 - Benjamin
1806 - Janet

Ruthwell

1813 - George
1818 -Charles

There's a big gap which seems strange.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi again, the children of George Bell and Janet Hetherington are: Benjamin b 1804, Janet b 1806  Rachel b 1799, Mary b 1812, Ellen b 1803, George b 1813 and Charles b 1818.( There may be more but these are the ones Ive found. )Ive traced Charles in the Ruthwell cemetery inscriptions along with his family members. Rachel married William Mclean and emigrated to America. Ellen also emigrated and died in Ontario. I cant find any trace of Benjamin who was born at Stonebriggs, Cummertrees.  Mary married Francis Kerr and died in 1858 at Murraythwaite Mill in Cummertrees.  Ive also traced Janet but cant find the paperwork at the moment!I have birth, marriage and death certificates to verify my findngs and cemetery inscriptions but am still stuck on Janet.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • granny and grandad cursiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 March 09 20:42 BST (UK) »
mary kerr daughter of george and janet had a son edward davidson in 1835 he is buried  with his fathers people in cummertrees  csc
DUMFRIES. KERR,DICKSON,BELL,HETHERINGTON,HILL
CUMBERLAND, CHARLTON,YOUNG,SPARKS,HEWITT,IRELAND. 
ORKNEY,CURSITER,DREVER,PEACE,COOPER,    
FAIR ISLE, MALCOLMSON,LESLIE.