Author Topic: WISDOM death by drowning? 1919  (Read 1328 times)

Offline zapcat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
WISDOM death by drowning? 1919
« on: Monday 18 August 08 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi
Family info has it that Thomas Kenneth WISDOM was drowned whilst on a fishing boat in Southampton.

GRO death reference:  South Stoneham 1919 Q2  2c 86. Age 48 yrs.

I would be very grateful if anyone can confirm this before I order the certificate.  There surely would have been some reference in the local press at the time.

Thanks
zapcat
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WISDOM death by drowning? 1919
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 17:22 BST (UK) »
Think your best bet is to get the cert - will give cause of death (or do you only want the cert if he did drown?!!)

If the cert confirms the family story, then you stand more chance of finding something in a local paper. If the cert shows something else, and therefore thr family story was off the mark, or actually related to someone else as is so often the case, then there will be no report in the paper to look for.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I've tried searching for the name in the local papers of the time but nothing has come up.

Is this the T K Wisdom born 1871, living with firstly parents Caroline and George More (?) plus brother George Wisdom in 1881, then in 1891 with Caroline Moore.  There seems to be a difference in names, unless of course they were fostered or adopted because he is named as son-in-law to Caroline Moore.  If there is confusion here there may also be confusion about his death in which case your best bet, as Liz says, is the death certificate. 

I also wonder about fishing from Southampton (?) it's always been a trading and passenger port, I originate from that region and have never heard of it in relation to fishing, but I do stand to be corrected.
TUBBS: Fair Oak, Hants.  Woodlands, Horton, Wimborne, Dorset.<br />OLIVER: Chilton Candover, Basingstoke, Bishopstoke,  Fair Oak, Woolston, Hants.<br />RUFFELL: Bighton, Alresford area, Hants.<br />MAIDMENT: Horton, Dorset.  MACKENZIE Bishopstoke, Hants.  BARNES, Fisherton Delamare, Wilts.

Offline zapcat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Tuscany
Thanks for looking in the local papers.  Thomas Kenneth Wisdom was born in 1870 in Ciswick, Middlesex  He was still in the London area until at least 1901, but at some point several members of the family all moved to the south coast of Hampshire.
zapcat
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk