Author Topic: Pentland in Drumgor, Seagoe, Derrykeevan  (Read 15269 times)

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pentland in Drumgor, Seagoe, Derrykeevan
« on: Tuesday 19 August 08 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to track Pentland/Pendleton families in Armagh.

George Pentland married Jane/Jennie Anderson bef 1823 probably in either Drumgor or Seagoe.

George's parents were Alexander and Elizabeth Pentland.  Sometimes the records spelled their name Pentledon, or Pendleton.

Their first child was Lucy Pentland b. 1823 in Drumgor,

It appears they then moved to Derrykeevan in Tartaraghan

Subsequent children were born in Derrykeevan
Elizabeth  b. 1825
Elizabeth Ann b. 1826
Jane Elizabeth b. 1828
Margaret b. 1835
Thomas 1839 married
George A., b. 1830

Any info would be appreciated.

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Pentland in Drumgor and Crossnamaughy
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 19:10 BST (UK) »
From Seagoe   Parish Church records

Elizabeth   daughter of George and Jane Pendleton  of Drumgor  Sponsors  Edward Tapley, Margaret Dynes, and

Lucy  dau of George and Jane Pendleton of Drumgor  June 15, 1823

John son of John and Margaret of Ballyhannon Aug 1, 1824

Thomas son of John and ? of CrossMcKaughy  sponsors  John and Jane Pendleton and George Gardiner
May 29, 1825

Eliza daughter  of George and Jane Pendleton  of Drumgor  sponsors  Edward Tapley, Margaret Dynes and Jane Pendleton Dec 3, 1826

Rachel dau of Margaret and John Pendleton of Ballyhannon  sponsors  John Pendleton, Ellenor Rennix and Margaret Pendleton  May 18, 1828

Margaret dau to Alexander and Rachel Pentland of Crossmacaughy  May 4, 1831

Marriage at Seagoe
 June 20,1825                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             George Pendleton and Margaret Costello  of this parish  Banns published   

Pentland in Knocknamuckley's St Matthias records

David Jones married Elizabeth Pentland Dec 6, 1843 Both lived in Knocknamuckley at the time
They probably lived in Lisnamintry as a David Jones and Elizabeth had sons baptized  William John Nov 12, 1847 and Robert in March 5, 1848

Robert and Mary had Sarah Isabella? Born 8-21-1864  Crossnamacaughy  farmer

notes with no church name
Ann Pentland with father Alexander, a Drumgor farmer married William Jones a Drumgor  farmer with father John of Drumgor and had children William July 23, 1858 and Isaac  December 10, 1862

Eliza Pentland born about 1833 married Ritchie Dilworth in 1860 (Knocknamuckley parish church,, a farmer in Crossnacahilly in the 1901 census and had children Margaret August 10, 1869 and Alexander February 15, 1863.  I think Elizabeth is recorded dead or buried at age 43  in 1876 and was buried at Knocknamuckley.

William and sister Mary Pentland. William moved to Philadelphia and Mary married James McDowell either in the US or in Ireland.  McDowells went to Knocknamuckley.

Thomas Pentland with father Alexander, a weaver married Jane Lyness, father John of Drumgor, in 1850 at Seagoe Parish Church    Drumnagoon 1901 census Thomas Pentland (Peublana is written, but Pentland is the name)  72  COI  cambric weaver  Jane wife 73 cambric weaver  Mary Ann Lynass SIL  72  cambric weaver

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Pentland in Drumgor, Seagoe, Derrykeevan
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 20:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info.

Re.  Elizabeth daughter of George.... what are sponsors?  like godparents at a baptism?

I am concluding since you found two Elizabeths daughter of George and Jane - that the earlier Elizabeth passed on?

George and Jane eventually ended up in Derrykeevan.  Other than Milltown and Tartaraghan, would their children have gotten married at any other church?  Are there are other churches nearby? 

Thank you,
Roxanna 

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 21:26 BST (UK) »
I have repeated the same Elizabeth by mistake.  Sorry there. 

I assume sponsors were to help guide the child's spiritual life, just as all church members are called upon now to guide a child at baptism time.   

This site could order the marriage records for you, but you would have to guess which date is involved.

In general, Emerald Ancestry is the best source of marriage information outside of the actual marriage record. You can first check the free listings.   You could get a subscription or  post a message asking for a look up that would include the church name, date and spouse name.   Then, to get more information, you could order the record. 

However, you posted about the Pentland marriages on Rootsweb in 2007.  Which names are you missing?  If your folk went to Manchester, CT, they were probably still tied to Portadown area families.  There are many Pentlands in the Drumcree/Portadown 1901 census.  William, born about 1830, was the oldest.   Do you want a listing of these Pentlands?

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 August 08 01:27 BST (UK) »
That was John and Jane who had son THomas  and it was George

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 August 08 03:14 BST (UK) »
Only recently were we able to establish that George (b. 1800) and Jane were originally from Drumgor, and then moved to Derrykeevan about 1828 and continued their family.  So I am trying to connect the Pentlands in Seagoe and Drumgor to George, son of Alexander and Elizabeth.

The working theory is that when Alexander died (in Seagoe or Drumgor?) then Elizabeth went to Derrykeevan and lived with George and Jane.  She passed away while living there.

Of what we have found, Alexander and Elizabeth had the following children
George, b. 1800  Married Jane/Jennie Anderson
Elizabeth, b. 1801
John, b. 1804
Samuel, b. 1807 (is info suggesting in emigrated in 1840s).

I hope to locate Elizabeth and John's marriages in Seagoe or Drumgor.

Or the marriages of some of the children of George...

Lucy married John Thornton in 1845 and began a family.  I can't find them in Canada or the US, and have wondered if they remained in Ireland....?

Margaret (b. 1835).. there is no known marriage record for her yet.

George A Pentland married Anna O'Hara in 1850 in Seagoe.  At least one of his children (John W Pentland) also went to Connecticut.  Accepted a contract from Cheney brothers to work in the silk mills.  This son of George and Jane was recently established, so I'm trying to find more of George A. Pentland's family.  As far as I can tell George and Anna remained in Ireland, and maybe some of their children did as well.

These marriages of the children of George we have located.
Jane Elizabeth married William Warnock in 1850 and in the 1890s joined their family in Connecticut.

Elizabeth Ann married Joseph Black in 1852 and emigrated to Australia.

Thomas married Deborah Simonton in 1857 and emigrated to Canada.

Thanks for the help.  If you have other records of Pentlands in the 1901 Census, I'd be very interested in them.

Best,
Roxanna

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 August 08 05:35 BST (UK) »
I have not typed up all of Donaghcloney and did not do all of records in the Magheralin area of Armagh.  These are the non Catholic records for the Lurgan/Portadown and closely outlying areas plus Bleary/Ballydougan/Ballynagarrick.  A few Lurgan records were missing.  The ages in the census are often off for the older folk.

Queen Street  Lurgan

24  Margaret Craig COI  45 Draper widow Down, boarder Martha Pentland  COI 18  teacher at National School Armagh

Taylor’s Court  Lurgan

16  William Turkington COI 67 weaver Armagh  Martha 65 Down weaver, John Henry 27  mechanic  Armagh, Joseph Pentland  grandson 15 teacher Armagh, William James Pentland  grandson 12 Armagh

William Street

63  Robert  H. Pentland Methodist 33 shirt manufacturer  Down  Maggie 34 Down  Ethel Mary 6  Stanley H 6 Down  Lizzie Winter  boarding  COI 17  machinist  Down  James C. Rutherford  boarding  Presby  24  teacher Down

Drumnagoon

40 Thomas Pentland (Peublana is written, but Pentland is the name)  72  COI  cambric weaver  Jane wife 73 cambric weaver  Mary Ann Lynass SIL  72  cambric weaver

Killycomain

4.  John Pentland  COI  36  laborer  Elizabeth  35, Mary 7  John 5, Jannie or Janna 3 dau

Annagh  Drumcree Parish

12  Meredith Pentland  COI  30  butcher  not married, Elizabeth  28 not married, Margaret 17  sister winder not married, Meredith  uncle 62  peddlar (son of Richard and Elizabeth  (Topley or Tapley))

Ballyworkian  Drumcree

12.  Jeremiah  Pentland  COI  34 farmer  Dinah  33  William 10  Agnes 8  James 6  Hugh 4  Thomas 2 (son of Thomas and Martha Gibson)

21.  John Pentland  COI 43  farmer  Susan 40  Thomas H 8  (probably son of Thomas and Martha Gibson)

60  Sarah Pentland Methodist 53 weaver not married, William John 51  brother married farmer, Ann Eliza sister 48 weaver,  Georgina sister 40 John nephew 21 farmer’s son  Alice niece 19 weaver  Lizzie 17 niece  farmer’s dau. Willie  nephew  15  Agnes 13 niece

Drumnakelly

3.  Elizabeth Pentland  62  farmer  not married, Julia Anna Wright  possibly a niece, protestants both ,  winder 40 not married

4.  James Pentland  66 farmer COI  Anne 64  Sarah  40 winder  Bella  37 winder  Georgina  23 banker in factory  John 23 weaver,  Frederick  21  Martha 18  winder  Charles 7

5.  David Pentland  55 farmer  not married COI

18  William Pentland  78 farmer  COI  Selina  70  John 24 farmer’s son

Bright Street  Portadown

8.  Margaret Pentland  60 COI  widowed  Mary 26  weaver  Margaret 22 hemstitcher

Carrickblacker Road  Portadown

32  Robert Pentland  COI 50  cotton weaver  Elizabeth  40  cotton weaver  Charlotte 11  William Robert 8  Sarah Ann 6 (Charlotte goes to S. Manchester, CT)

Carleton Street  Portadown

2.  Grace Bell  Pentland  COI 30  National School teacher  Tyrone  Teresa Calvin  boarding  22 dressmaker  Armagh  Jennette Burnette 17 sales Derry

27E  Phoebe Veill  COI  56 widow  Joseph  21 carpenter  William 17 apprentice carpenter  Annie Pentland granddau  8  boarding is Maud Whittle  COI 19  weaver  boarding is Samuel Neill  COI 17 saddler  boarding is Woolsey Montgomery  COI 17  hardware shop

Florence Court  Portadown

David Thornton  COI  30 ior 50  damask weaver  Lizzie  36 or 56 or 50 damask weaver  Robert 21 weaver  Sarah Ann 19  weaver Margaret Wright boarding 46 weaver COI (David is son of Joseph and Letita)

25  Alexander Thornton  28  COI  lapper  Annie 26 Down  Sarah A. 4 Armagh  Emma 2 Armagh  Elizabeth 5 months  (Alex is son of Joseph and Letitia)

Kilmaine St.  Lurgan

16  Esther Pentlington  70 widow Armagh born family  Caroline  Morrison 43  married  James Morrison 11 with children Samuel Morrison 9  Richard Morrison 6  COI

Church Place  Lurgan

22,  James Thornton COI 38  provisions merchant  not married Armagh

30  John Thornton  COI 45 Armagh runs a boarding home,  Mary Ann 37, Sarah 18 seamstress, John George 16 clerk,  James 14  grocer apprentice  Frances Jane 7  Joseph  10  Edith Anna 3  Robert Samuel 11 months  Patrick Ther?  Boarding RC 60  coachman  widow Down  William James Flannigan  35 boaring COI recruiting sergeant    Down  Francis Martin  boarding 22 clerk  not married  Armagh  Annie Boylan  servant  RC 18 Monaghan

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 August 08 20:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the names and for the tip to Emerald Ancestors.  It has been useful to browse their data.  However, it is difficult to link up the families without the names of parents available on that site.   

However, I did use it to confirm records I already had been given.

It is just as interesting - the families that don't show up.  I assume they emigrated, probably to Australia, or Scotland?  Haven't found them in Canada or the US.

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ruth Ramsay, William Simonton
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Looking to verify marriage of Ruth Ramsay to William Simonton from Derrylard.....
and at least two of their children, Joshua Simonton , b. 1835, and Elizabeth Simonton, b. 1846.

I had a computer crash.  They are in my database, but I lost my source reference.

At the time of William's marriage, he was from Derrylard, Tartaraghan Parish, and Ruth was from Gallrock, Tartaraghan .  Witnesses were John Moffett and James___________.  The marriage took place in the Tartaraghan Church of Ireland.

Especially trying to verify the birth of Joshua Simonton/Symington.  It seems an untypical name for then.

Thank you,
Roxanna