Author Topic: Charles Naseby  (Read 2852 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Naseby
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 05:33 BST (UK) »
Many folks use transcription agents for NSW certs - a cheaper quicker option I believe ;). Someone with knowledge of them should be able to give you more information and contact details. Good luck!

Offline Candidiasia Ibberrson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 06:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the Information all.

Is it possible to order the death cert online and if so how?

Thanks
Candis
Wells of Yorkshire

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 11:21 BST (UK) »
http://home.iprimus.com.au/lturtle/

This is a website for a transcription  agent  you  can  order on line  with  him charges $15 and takes a couple of days and can email  your crtificate direct to you.

You  can  also  order on  line  with  the NSW online BDM's  but  they  charge about$25  and can take several weeks.

kind thoughts Jenn

edited by Jenn..... I  use him all  the time and found him  very good :) I haven't used the other two transcription agents but have only seen  good reports about them,  guess it's just a matter of personal choice.
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Candis

I've used http://www.joymurrin.com.au/ before and been very happy with the service.

She emailed me the transcripts of the certs,and it didn't take very long at all.

All the best

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 12:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jen and  Carol

Best Wishes
Candis
Wells of Yorkshire

Offline AndrewMcW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 January 22 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Candis, I know this is an ancient post but: Are you still looking for information on Charles Naseby?  Please get in touch if so!

Kind regards - Andrew

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 April 23 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Candis, I know this is an ancient post but: Are you still looking for information on Charles Naseby?  Please get in touch if so!

Kind regards - Andrew

Hi Andrew, Yes please.

Candis
Wells of Yorkshire

Offline AndrewMcW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 28 April 23 01:48 BST (UK) »
Hi again Candis, as I understand it...

William + Charlotte (Wood) Naseby had 8 children:
  Charles
  Mary
  William
  Thomas
  George
  Ann
  Charlotte
  John

Mary had 4(?) illegitimate children, one of whom was Harriet (1843 -1898)

Harriet travelled to Australia with her uncle John (+ aunt Ann, and their children Frederick (age 2) and Andrew (age <1))  They travelled on the Nimroud, arriving in Sydney on 1859/04/07.

Harriet is listed as aged 14, occupation "Lacemaker", coming from Northamptonshire.  Religion Wesleyan, and she could read and write.  There is another column labelled "Remarks" in the shipping manifest, but I can't read the contents.

At some point Harriet and my GG grandfather John McWhirter met eachother and married.  John's family (of 7) had arrived on the Simmonds in 1855. At some point most of them moved from  Sydney up to the Taree area about 300 kms north.  By the time that happened, I presume John and Harriet were married.

In the meantime, Charles Naseby had selected land in a small town called Binnaway, some 450 kms inland, and established a "private village" on the southern side of the main street.

My understanding is that John had travelled to Binnaway alone, and then some time later Harriet - who was pregnant with first son Gilbert - travelled separately some time later.  On their trip they were accosted by the bushranger "Thunderbolt" but apparently he let them go after noting that they were a party of all women.  Gilbert was born on the trip.

I also have found records that Charles married Ann Groom but no record of children.

In any case, this is what happened to Charles, according to  http://www.mudgeehistory.com.au/lets_chat/lets_chat_pg2.html

"Naseby, Charles, by Lisa Thomas,

Hi Diane,

I am sending through some of the details I have of Charles Naseby. He was kicked to death across from our home in Lochinvar in 1893 at the age of 81, which is why I became interested in him. He had been a convict from an impoverished family of linen weavers from Yorkshire, and after transportation in 1831 he was assigned to the Gwydir and lived at Yaggabi. The Maitland Mercury had three articles about his experiences, which are available through Trove, on 3, 10, and 24 December 1881. The ethnologist Dr John Fraser who had interviewed him later wrote of Naseby’s understanding of the Kamilaroi languages. This was later codified as “Naseby’s Line”, by which the extent of the Kamilaroi lands were linguistically defined. O’Rourke mentioned “Naseby’s Line” in the North West Passages article in Part 2.

You might be interested in the details of Naseby’s death. This is also available on the Maitland Mercury through Trove- 7 February 1893 “Suspicious Death at Lochinvar”. By the way, the man accused of his murder was identified as Frank True. His actual name was Adolph Trau, and he was a German from Berlin. Both Trau and Naseby are buried in the C of E cemetery across from our property. 

After achieving his freedom, and having accumulated some money by horse breeding etc, Naseby brought out his youngest brother and his niece in 1859. The niece Harriet later married John McWhirter.  Charles Naseby bought 50 acres in 1869, and another 50 in 1876, in what would later become the town of Binnaway, and he deposited plans for the development of the town. The book by Bull (1986) “Binnaway on the Castlereagh” has some good details, although some things are not there.

I am really hoping that O’Rourke might just have something that I missed in regard to Naseby and language. Cheers, Lisa Thomas"

I assume that upon his death, his estate passed to his niece Harriet and probably at that time the laws meant that the real beneficiary was John McWhirter (since women weren't allowed to own anything?) - I have no evidence to support this though.

In another twist: The Binnaway township thrived and they established a school.  The first teacher was Harriet Townley - the daughter of Daniel + Ann (Naseby) Townley.  I presume that her appointment to the school was through her uncle Charles/cousin Harriet connection.  She arrived in Sydney on 1878/05/13, listed as age 22 and travelled with Susan Townley (age 25) on the ship Erato.  I'm not sure how long she was teaching there, nor was I able to determine what happened to her.

All the above info is from notes I made when researching this a year or so back.  The ship manifests are available for free (sorry I can't recall where, but could probably find them again if you want?) Hope that this info is useful to you in some way!  Let me know if I can help further; I have the book "Binnaway on the Castlereagh" (Bull) and have access to the book about the school's centenary which mentions Harriet Townley.

Cheers - Andrew
Sydney

Offline AndrewMcW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 29 April 23 04:25 BST (UK) »
Getting off topic a bit here, and not sure if this is of interest but I just found some additional info on the duaghters of Daniel and Ann arrived in Sydney with Harriet in 1878 aboard the Erato with their uncle John Naseby

1) Obituary for Susan (Townley) Dalmain - who I believe is the daughter of Daniel and Ann (Naseby).

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/113047156

2) Harriet - there appears to be copies of 3 letters relating to her held in the state library of NSW, but they aren't digitised.  One is from Ted who I believe is her husband.
There is a record of her in the NSW State Archives "School Teachers’ rolls 1869-1908", which says she's now "Harriet Sinclair".
There is a birth of Frederick G Sinlcair registered to Harriet and Edward Sinclair  in 1892.
Harriet Sinclair is buried at Gilgandra NSW, along with her niece Beatrice Mary Dalmain:
https://austcemindex.com/inscription?id=5253113

Again - hope it helps with your research!