Author Topic: Walton/Jenkins Aberystwyth  (Read 3445 times)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Walton/Jenkins Aberystwyth
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 February 23 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately the area occupied by the market gardens have been built over.   If you go onto Google Earth and select Vaynor Street Aberystwyth.  Half way up on the left of the street is a small alleyway.   This accesses the allotments.  Mr Walton occupied the area now covered by a block of flats (light coloured on the map).  The path continued through to Loveden Road.   The area after Walton’s was also an allotment, owned by a Vearey family, now also sadly built over.
A large black and white cat, that had adopted our family, caught rats in the allotments and would proudly display them to Mr Walton’s delight.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline winnybach

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 February 23 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much. It's great to pinpoint the place where it was. My dad left school to work there as a young teenager before joining up for the war. I look forward to telling my sisters. You must have lived quite near the lane. I've also looked up the car you mentioned - it's incredible to think my grandad was driving that.  Sadly we didn't know him well. I remember quick visits to Penparcau in the 60s/70s and he and his wife Mary came to stay with us near Newport, but because of the distance and my Dad doing 2 jobs to support the 8 of us there wasn't that much time to go back to Aberystwyth often.  When we did my Dad used to be in his element. We lost my Dad 34 years ago but still pop up now and again and visit his parent's grave in the church at Llangorwen. They were happy days.

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 February 23 17:36 GMT (UK) »
I have sent you a PM (personal message).
Coincidentally my mother’s maiden name was Jenkins.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire