Author Topic: Walton/Jenkins Aberystwyth  (Read 3449 times)

Offline iolanthe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walton/Jenkins Aberystwyth
« on: Tuesday 19 August 08 23:30 BST (UK) »
I'm following a new line of enquiry which seems to be a possible link to one of my family.  Does anyone have connections with a William E Walton who married Gwendolen Jenkins in Aberystwyth in 1918, and who (probably) had at least 3 children  -  Edward M Walton, born 1820, Dorothy M S Walton, born 1921, and William T Walton, born in 1925?  There may have been more.

I believe this Gwendolen (born 1892) could have been my great aunt, the youngest sister of my grandmother, Kate (Catherine) Jenkins.  Their parents were Thomas Jenkins and Ellen (nee Davies).  Thomas was the son of Edward Jenkins, a tailor, and his wife, Mary, and Ellen's parents were John Davies and his wife, Dorothy (nee Jones).  The Jenkins family all lived in Aberystwyth.

If anyone can help, I'd be most grateful.
Aberystwyth: Jenkins, Jones, Davies
Merionethshire: Edwards, Roberts, Williams, Davies, Rowland, John
Monmouthshire: Jenkins, Lewis, Evans, Jones, Rees
Glamorgan: Roberts, Lewis
Breconshire: Jenkins, Jones

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Walton/Jenkins Aberystwyth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 October 08 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have a number of Jenkins ancestors, born Aberystwyth, who were tailors.   Do any of these strike a chord?
Edward Jenkins, born about 1785, wife Elizabeth Rees.   Son William Jenkins, born about 1820, wife Catherine Clements.   His son William, born 1846, was a carpenter and married Ellen Foster of Liverpool (my ggrandparents) but another son David, born 1847, wife Margaret Williams, was also a tailor.

There were a number of Jenkins families who were tailors in Aberystwyth in the 19th century, but you never know,

Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 October 08 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Iolanthe

Do you have this 1901 Census for a Kate b. 1874 with parents Thomas and Ellen (mistranscribed as Elene by Ancestry) and a much younger sister Gwendolin b. 1892?  This Thomas was a moulder - iron.  Living at 21 Huspian? Street.

RG13 Piece 5153 Folio 131 Page 37

Kind regards
Gaie
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline iolanthe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 11:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you, davierj, and Gaie, for your replies.

Davierj  -  I think you and I have communicated before, and found no definite link, as yet, although the Edward Jenkins (b 1785) you mention  is still a strong contender to be the father of mine. How did you find his year of birth?
I can't seem to get further back, for sure, than Edward Jenkins, my G G Grandfather, a tailor, (b Llanbadarn 1813ish) and his wife, Mary (nee Jones, I believe).  Mary could have been any Jones's daughter! They, and their two eldest sons - John (b 1839) and Edward Jr (b 2 weeks before the census)  all show on the 1841 census.  They then had Edwin in 1844, my G Grandfather, Thomas, in 1847, followed by 4 more children, Mary, David, Catherine and Maria.

Gaie - Yes, I do have the info about the 1901 census, you mentioned.  Thomas Jenkins married Ellen Davies in 1870 and,by 1901, they lived in Thespian Street.  Their daughter, Kate (Catherine) Jenkins, was my grandmother and she and Robert Meirion Roberts were married in Aberystwyth a few days after the census was taken.  As to Gwendolin - I have not been able to find a birth around 1892 in the area.  The only one that I've found was in Pontypridd, and I can't imagine why, unless Ellen and Thomas Jenkins were visiting the area for some reason.  I found a marriage, as mentioned, and children's births, which are quite likely.  I'll send off for the marriage certificate of Gwendoline/William Walton, to see if it sheds more light.

Many thanks to you both for your interest. 
Aberystwyth: Jenkins, Jones, Davies
Merionethshire: Edwards, Roberts, Williams, Davies, Rowland, John
Monmouthshire: Jenkins, Lewis, Evans, Jones, Rees
Glamorgan: Roberts, Lewis
Breconshire: Jenkins, Jones

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 October 08 10:12 BST (UK) »
My memory is not what it was but having been jogged I remember our previous converstion.   At present I'm away from home so can't say how I obtained Edward's birth.   Knowing this family, I probably made an educated guess and took it as been ABOUT 1785. 

One of our Edward Jenkins may well have been the tailor mentioned in the excellent history of Aberystwyth 'Born on a Perilous Rock' by W.J. Lewis, Cambrian News 1980, page 20 who, together with son William,  made the watchmen's uniforms in 1836.   In the 1820s he may have been involved in the making of the then fashionable 'Welsh Trowsers'.

Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline winnybach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 August 22 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi I've just found this website and your post but even though it's 14 years since you started this search I think the family you are looking for my Dad's family. He was E M Walton of Clarach, Aberystwyth, Dorothy and Trevor were his siblings. If you are still searching let me know and I'll tell you what I can.

Offline winnybach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 August 22 16:29 BST (UK) »
I must say add that my Dad was born in 1920 not 1820 and to my knowledge there were no tailors in the family. His father wasn't a William either.  My Dad's Mum, Gwendolen died of pneumonia at the age of 40 and is buried in the churchyard at Clarach.

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 February 23 11:31 GMT (UK) »
As a child, I remember a Walton who owned a commercial allotment below North Road.   It was accessed by a lane off Vaenor Street.   He seemed to have been around 50ish in the late 1940s But to a child everyone seemed to be about that age.   I to remember he drove a blue Morris Cowley Bullnose which even to me as a child was a rarity.

Dave

Offline winnybach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 February 23 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi davierj
That sounds like my grandfather's ''market garden'. He was Wythen Walton and after my gandmother Gwendolyn died at the age of 40, he remarried in 1945. They lived in Penparcau but his daughter/my aunt Dorothy and her husband (Bob Pemberton) continued living in the cottage at Clarach.
I remember my Dad saying the market garden was in Aber but don't think he ever showed us where so thank you for that information.