Author Topic: BURFOOT marriage; possibly Cowden  (Read 6529 times)

Offline Vixen60

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: BURFOOT marriage; possibly Cowden
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 August 08 19:29 BST (UK) »
That would be wonderful.  Thank you
Barbara

Offline spongebob

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 September 08 14:35 BST (UK) »
Barbara,

Went to the church today, was a really nice little village. Judging by the number of gravestones and the number of Burfoots in there it looks like they were one of half a dozen prominent families in Cowden in the 1800's.

I'm afraid there is a lot of weather damage to most of the stones, but I managed to get some details off and took pictures of them all which I will upload when I get home.

You are right that most of the stones are together in a group to the left of the path as soon as you get into the graveyard. I counted 7 Burfoot stones in that group, along with another one close which I think might be but it's been completely wiped by weather damage. Also and interestingly, there is another single stone and that is right next to the door of the church with 3 other stones (all unrelated) - this was for a Christopher Burfoot, but everything but some of his name has gone.

So here's my rough notes on the stones;

1) Next to church door, to right with 3 other stones

Christopher Burfoot, small stone only part of name visible, heavy weather damage

2) First stone on left of path as entering graveyard, slighty damaged

In loving memory of Stephen Burfoot of Cold (illegible word) Farm in this Parish. Died June 11th 1862 aged 70 years. Also Elizabeth Burfoot, wife of the above, died April 5th 1855, aged 62 years. Also Elizabeth Burfoot, daughter of the above, died Feb 1848, aged 31 years.

3) Next in the same row, badly weather damaged

In memory of Sarah Burfoot, daughter of Stephen and Elizabeth Burfoot, departed this life Dec 19th 1842, aged 21 years.

4) Next row away from wall, behind Sarah's

Sacred to the memory of Sarah Burfoot, wife of...(remainder illegible)

5) Next to above, behind Stephen & Elizabeth's

Sacred to the memory of John Burfoot, died Nov 22nd 180...(last digit illegible), aged 82 years.

6) Next row away from wall

Possible Burfoot stone, completely weather damaged

7) Next over in same row, towards path

To the memory of Edward(?) [I don't think it's Edward...it finishes 'ward' but the actual length of name looks longer] Burfoot who died Feb 15th 1877 (looks like 1877), aged 79 years. Also Elizabeth his wife who died Jan 21st 1874 aged 75 years.

8) Over near path

Sacred to the memory of Fanny Burfoot, daughter of William and Ann Burfoot, who departed this life 13 May 1849, aged 45 years.

9) Nearer church

In memory of William Burfoot, who died March 5th 1818 aged 80 years.

Like I say, there may be more - but at least 50% of the stones are damaged beyond reading - but I think most if not all of the Burfoots are in that grouping - with the exception of Christopher.

Will upload the photos later, although they might not be that clear given the damage - I had to stand at really wierd angles to be able to read some of the writing, hope no-one was looking!

Hope this helps.
Matt
Charlewood - Ireland, Antrim, Liverpool, Leeds
MacDonald - Glasgow, Lanark
Young - Edinburgh
Douglass - Ireland, Antrim
Flisher - Sandgate, Lydd

Offline Vixen60

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 14:32 BST (UK) »
Dear Spongebob

Thank you so much for all your efforts.

1) That Christopher was born in either 1700 or 1658 and was the father/grandfather of  William who was born in 1738 and died in 1818 which fits 9).

2)  Stephen was one of the 5 sons of William who according to the 61 census was living at Cole Allins which fits.  He was married to Elizabeth Harris which also fits.  She was born about 1798.

5)  Not sure about this one.  The 180? date would fit with my husbands gg grandfather who was baptised in 1808, but he was still alive in 1891 and living in Tonbridge. 

7) Could this be Richard?   Edward is not a family name and there are a few Richards over the years.
 His wife's name and dates fit quite well,but he was probably born about 1895/6 according to various census.  There was a Richard who was another of William's sons.  I think you have just found another Richard and I can't see yet where he fits.  Time to think again.  I think I had decided there was only one and I have mixed them together.

8) This fits well with known information.  She was William's granddaughter.  Her father William was another of William's sons.

9)

This William is my husbands gggg grandfather.  The dates fit precisely with the will and baptism date.

To see the photographs would be great.  I was reading the other day, that noon is the best time to photograph gravestones as the sun is directly overhead and sends shadows that make the writing clearer.

Thank you so much for all your efforts.  If ever you need anything in the Bristol/Somerset area, just ask.

Barbara

Offline spongebob

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 15:58 BST (UK) »
7) Could this be Richard?   Edward is not a family name and there are a few Richards over the years.
 His wife's name and dates fit quite well,but he was probably born about 1895/6 according to various census.  There was a Richard who was another of William's sons.  I think you have just found another Richard and I can't see yet where he fits.  Time to think again.  I think I had decided there was only one and I have mixed them together.

Actually now you mention it, Richard fits better than Edward - I think there was an R at the beginning but all my brain could come up with was Reginald! :D

Sent you a PM about the photos.

Matt
Charlewood - Ireland, Antrim, Liverpool, Leeds
MacDonald - Glasgow, Lanark
Young - Edinburgh
Douglass - Ireland, Antrim
Flisher - Sandgate, Lydd

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile