Author Topic: Marriage of Mary FITZSIMMONS  (Read 6217 times)

Offline louisemccrea

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandfather Robert Samuel McCrea
    • View Profile
Marriage of Mary FITZSIMMONS
« on: Wednesday 20 August 08 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am quite new to searching my tree and have come stuck by my great grandmothers first husband.
The information i have is her name is Mary Jane Fitzsimmons and she was born i 1869 in enniskillen to a william Fitzsimmons and Eliza Smyth. I know she married a Nicholas Coughlin/coughlan i got this from her marrage certificate it had her name as coughlin and she was a widow on her death certificate it gives her first husband as nicholas coughlan occupation a labourer.  Her second marrage was to her first cousin on mothers side Robert john McCrea they married in Glasgow in 1902. I know she had at least one son called charlie to her first husband and possibly one called archiebald though he is another mystery. Her other kids were to her second husband. My grand father said that charlie was born in ireland and i knew that is what he thought also.
I cant find any info on this first marrage at all and i also cant find charlies birth anywhere any help would be much apreciated

Thanks Louise :)
McCrea - Glasgow Enniskillen
deVall - Dudley Birmingham Rugeley
Graham - Port Glasgow Clydebank Glasgow
Gallacher - Dumbarton Ireland India Madras Calcuta
Sanders - Birmingham
Marris - Port Glasgow Fife Ireland
Fitzsimmons - Enniskillen
Davis - Birmingham Dudley
Brown - Dudley Bristol
Smyth - Enniskilen Northern Ireland
Upshon - India Madras Bangalore Dorset Wales Glasgow Any where in England or India
McLuskie- Glasgow Dumbarton

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Mary FITZSIMMONS
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 22:26 BST (UK) »
IGI (International Genealogical Index) has some, not all, Irish births 1864-c1882. 2 daughters of William Fitzsimmons and Eliza Smyth:
1. daughter born 22 Mar.1865 Tempo district, Fermanagh
2. Rebecca born 18 Aug.1874 Tempo district, Fermanagh

Tempo is not far from Enniskillen. Does Mary's birth certificate actually say Enniskillen or is the place of her birth taken from another document?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline louisemccrea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

I dont have her birth certificate but that is the same family i have her birth in a family bible as 21 nov 1869.
I know the rebecca fitzsimmons married marys second husbands brother william McCrea the two brothers and sisters were first cousins.  but i dont know much about either the fitzsimmons or smyths i only got this info the other week.

Thankyou for the help i am still a bit unsure of what i am doing :) :)

p.s i did not know about another daughter
Sanders - Birmingham
Brown - Dudley Bristol
Upshon - India Madras Bangalore Dorset Wales Glasgow Any where in England or India

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 August 08 07:47 BST (UK) »
Here's a place to search for the family in Griffith's Valuation- only 1 Fitzsimmons in Co. Fermanagh- William Fitzsimmons in the townland of Doon in Enniskillen Parish:
http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php
William only has a house listed (no land) so looks like he wasn't a farmer. Alo a John McCrea in the same townland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 August 08 08:02 BST (UK) »
Found this in Londonderry Sentinel- not sure if there's any connection but Mrs. McCrea's daughter must have been married to a Smithand Pettigo is in Fermanagh although farther from Enniskillen and in the opposite direction as Tempo.

9 July 1836: In Pettigo, on the 2nd inst., at the house of her son in law, Mr. George Smith, sen., Mrs. Elizabeth McCrea, in the 95th year of her age. She was for nearly thirty years contemporary with her grandmother, Racheal Weir, alias Clarke, from near Coleraine, who was one of those driven under the Walls of Derry, at the seige in 1688, and died at the advanced age of 103.

Offline louisemccrea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 August 08 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the information i had a look at the griffiths valuation and also found some of my McCrea ancestors. I dont know if there is a connection with the londonderry sentinel but its something i can look into.

Thanks again
Louise :)
Sanders - Birmingham
Brown - Dudley Bristol