Author Topic: Derbyshire Tideswell Parish records  (Read 15643 times)

Offline JulieLeech

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Derbyshire Tideswell Parish records
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 25 March 10 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,

Had a look through all my papers and haven't found any Jacksons in Tideswell as yet, i'll keep looking and keep you posted.

Cheers

Julie

Offline quinrd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 25 March 10 20:30 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the Hunsstones and Chapmans who were in Tideswell and Cressbrook in the 1800's. If you had any information relating to their families I would be very grateful

Thank you

Lisa

Offline johnnyleech

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 11:01 BST (UK) »
hi.My family name is Leech and my family emigrated to New Zealand in 1853 from Egremont in Cumbria.My ancestor in Great Britain was apparently a doctor in the court of William the Conqueror the  original spelling being Leche He was gifted land in Derbyshire where Chatsworth House now stands.I understand this is quite close to Tideswell.This land was sold in the 15th century and the family moved to Penrith in Cumbria.Do you think there could be a connection?Coincidently my sister's name is Julie. Alasdair Leech

Offline JulieLeech

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Alasdair,

Thank you so much for your email! I traced a Sir Roger Leche in some parish records, his daughter Isabella married Sir Sampson Meverell and they resided in Tideswell, so yes the Leche's were in Tideswell and it is not to far away from Chatsworth, unfortunately, I haven't found a male line of the Leche family at that time yet.

I wondered if there may have been alterations to the spelling of the name over the years and if this is how my Leech's came to be in Tideswell! I have managed to trace back to Edward Leech born in Tideswell in 1740 but can't find proof of the Leche/Leech connection!

I am almost sure after reading your email that there could be a connection! and what a coincidence your sister being a Julie too!

Thanks again for the mail and please keep me posted if you come across any more information.

Julie.

Offline biffo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 14 May 11 11:54 BST (UK) »
My Joseph Leech was born in Tideswell in about 1804 according to the later census but by the 1820s he had made his way to Manchester and married twice and I am descended from his second marriage. As you say you have a number of Leech interests in Tideswell I was wondering if you have any records of such a Joseph Leech.

Keith Eckersley
Eckersley
Darbyshire

Offline msallen

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Flint & Ann Slack's wedding day in 1866
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 14 May 11 14:20 BST (UK) »
Keith,

There were two Joseph Leechs baptised in Tideswell in 1804 - the son of Robert & Mary on 26/2/1804 and the son of Samuel & Hannah on 7/6/1804.

Too many to list! But always particularly interested in my eight ggp lines : ALLEN, HODGKINSON, FLINT, SWINDELL, SHELDON, BINGHAM, JACKSON - all in Derbyshire; and ELLWOOD in Cambridgeshire

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 09 June 11 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

Going off at a tangent, but still in Tideswell, I was wondering if anybody would be able to look up a marriage in Tideswell?

6th Dec 1842 between Thomas Dawson and Alice Soro. I need to know their parent's names.

Thanks in anticipation, Eric
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent

Offline msallen

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Flint & Ann Slack's wedding day in 1866
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 09 June 11 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric

6/12/1842 Thomas Dawson, weaver, father James a weaver, married Alice Sorrow of Cressbrook, weaver, father James a weaver.

Alice was not born in Tideswell, but there is a marriage of a possible brother on 27/4/1850. William Sore, overlooker of Cressbrook, father James a weaver, married Mary Taylor of Cressbrook, weaver, father unknown.

Thomas Dawson son of James, a weaver, & Martha was bapt 11/8/1822.
James Dawson, a weaver, married Martha Dale 24/11/1818.
There are Dawsons (and variants, especially Doson) in Tideswell from the start of the surviving Tideswell PRs in the 1630s.
Too many to list! But always particularly interested in my eight ggp lines : ALLEN, HODGKINSON, FLINT, SWINDELL, SHELDON, BINGHAM, JACKSON - all in Derbyshire; and ELLWOOD in Cambridgeshire

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 June 11 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi msallen

Many thanks. That confirms what I suspected. Like you say, there are rather a lot of Dawsons in Tideswell.

Also, one of the Soros married a Josiah Skidmore-22 Jun 1845. Would you have any idea if the Skidmores had been in the area for some time or if they came from the Black Country?

Eric
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent