Author Topic: Derbyshire Tideswell Parish records  (Read 15641 times)

Offline msallen

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Flint & Ann Slack's wedding day in 1866
    • View Profile
Re: Derbyshire Tideswell Parish records
« Reply #27 on: Friday 10 June 11 17:07 BST (UK) »
The Skidmore marriage appears in my transcript as : Josiah Skidmore, farmer of Cressbrook, father Michael a labourer, and Sarah Torr, weaver of Cressbrook, father James a weaver. If you're confident of Sarah's identity then that's a good example of why we should never put full trust in a transcript!

The Skidmores had also been in Tideswell since the start of the extant registers, and indeed the name is found in a number of neighbouring parishes too, so if there's a connection to a long established line in the Black Country then it's probably back in the medieval.

Mark
Too many to list! But always particularly interested in my eight ggp lines : ALLEN, HODGKINSON, FLINT, SWINDELL, SHELDON, BINGHAM, JACKSON - all in Derbyshire; and ELLWOOD in Cambridgeshire

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 10 June 11 19:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mark.

Just curious really. Both my tree and my daughter in Law's go back to Skidmores in the Black Country by different routes and I thought it would be too much of a coincidence if this one did as well.

The Soros were transcribed in all manner of ways-Soroh, Sorrow,Sore & even Tore and more. This lot originated in Bolton but I seem to recall seeing them mentioned in Derbyshire in the 1600's.

Thanks again Eric
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent

Offline j4xny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 17 July 11 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I too am looking for a marriage in Tideswell between Charles Clayton morgan and Felcia or Phelicia Worrell if not that their son charles fredrick worrell morgan may have been baptised there thanking you in anticipation,
jane

Offline msallen

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Flint & Ann Slack's wedding day in 1866
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 17 July 11 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane, welcome to Rootschat.

You don't specify a date, but I'm guessing you're looking at around 1840ish?

The transcript I'm looking at (www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/ValNealCDs.html#Tideswell) has marriages up to 1860, but only has baptisms up to 1841. There's nothing matching what you're looking for in either. However there is a burial - of Felicia Booth Morgan, age 2, on 17/9/1844. Other than this there are no other Morgan entries at all, and only a couple of sparse Worrel/Worrals from earlier dates which don't seem to have anything to do with your Felicia.

Sorry I can't be of more help - although I suspect that middle name of Booth may well prove to be a clue to a maternal line!

Mark
Too many to list! But always particularly interested in my eight ggp lines : ALLEN, HODGKINSON, FLINT, SWINDELL, SHELDON, BINGHAM, JACKSON - all in Derbyshire; and ELLWOOD in Cambridgeshire

Offline j4xny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 18 July 11 09:13 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for that my Charles and Felcia morgan (nee Worrell) were there and having children in the 1841 and 51 census you have clearly found one I didn't know about! Thankyou so much for the help and i will pursue the Booth line I'm sure your right and it is a clue to one of the maternal lines, possibly his since the name worrell was passed down a couple of generations.... was it unusual not to be having the children baptised? Thanks again much appreciated.
Jane