Author Topic: Tracing Suttle family - Fermanagh  (Read 3625 times)

Offline Linda3173

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing Suttle family - Fermanagh
« on: Thursday 21 August 08 06:28 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm tracing my husband's family Suttle from the Enniskillen/Lisnaskea area of Fermanagh. 

His grandfather Thomas Henry Suttle along with brothers George Edmond and John Joseph came out to Australia early 1900's.  Their father was John Suttle who married a Prudence Walker and there were other siblings listed on 1901 census - Annie aged 1; Prudence aged 4; Francis James aged 7;William Robert aged 14.  I think there were more after 1901 but haven't got details.  On John's marriage details his father's name was William but no mothers name (William was aged 65 on 1901 census).  I haven't  been able to find any additiional details on the siblings or on William, can anyone help??
cheers
Linda3173

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Suttle family - Fermanagh
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 October 08 17:50 GMT (UK) »
There's a submitted entry in Pedigree Resource File (www.familysearch.org) for Thomas Henry Suttle born 20 Mar.1890 Lisnaskea, Fermanagh. It might be worth trying to contact the submitter for more information.

Don't think Suttle's a common surname but found the following births (some of which certainly seem to be for your family).
William Robert (1886)
Thomas Henry (1890)
Francis James (1894)
Prudence (1896)
Anne Elizabeth (1899)- prbably the Annie in 1901 census
Edward Walter (1904)
William (1908)
Prudence (1910)
Rebecca (1919)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gaye Carter

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 May 09 23:06 BST (UK) »
Linda

My Maternal Grandfather was John Joseph Suttle who lived in Brisbane, Australia when he died.  I was about  ten  in 1957 when he died.  I remember meeting his brother George's wife.  I was told John Joseph (known in the family as "Joe") came to his relations in Australia in the Richmond River area of NSW. He had a dairy farm near Atheron ,Queensland in the 1920's and then moved to Brisbane when I knew him in the 1950's. I was told he came from a small farm in Fermanagh and chased rabbits through the blackberry bushes and worked for a while at a grocery's shop polishing fruit. He had a lot of very white hair as I knew him and this seems to be a family trait. I have a photo of "Prudence" his Mother.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 May 09 18:39 BST (UK) »
Linda,

4 Dec 1885John Suttle married Prudence Walker in Lisbellow Church of Ireland, Parish of Cleenish, Enniskillen.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Linda3173

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 May 09 03:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaye, thank you for replying to my query on the Suttle family.  I would be very interested in finding out more info on your Grandfather Joe.  I know that he married a Dorris Lang in about 1921 and that according to the electoral rolls of 1925 was a dairy farmer in the Nambour/Atherton district.  Do you have any other info on his parents or his brothers and sisters. I would be very interested in the photo of his mother Prudence, do you have any other family photos of Joe or his family?
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Linda

Offline Linda3173

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 May 09 03:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for info on marriage.
Linda