Author Topic: Wilson/McNeill - Coleraine  (Read 8705 times)

Offline Tillymum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilson/McNeill - Coleraine
« on: Thursday 21 August 08 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone - I'm new to this, so hope I've posted in the right place. Looking for information about the Wilsons. My g.grandfather was John Wilson born c.1864 (deduced from marriage cert. - states he was full age). He married Elizabeth (Lizzie) McNeill on 23 March 1889 at Terrace Row Third Presbyterian Church, Coleraine. It states on the certificate that he was a widower and that his fathers name was Alex. I would like to find out how many children they had. I know for sure they had 3 boys - Danny,David (my grandad) and Robert, but there has always been talk in the family of another child who was sent away to Canada.My mother said it was all hushed up and no-one ever talked about it. Now could this other child have been from John Wilsons first marriage or is he just a rumour. Any help with the Wilsons or McNeills would be greatly appreciated.
Coleraine and Portrush - Wilson, McNeill, Stewart

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson/McNeill - Coleraine
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 August 08 13:59 BST (UK) »
I had a look on Griffiths Valuation for Wilsons in Coleraine and there about 10, including

occupier : WILSON   ALEXANDER   
lessor : MCDONNELL JOHN
county: LONDONDERRY   
parish : COLERAINE   
townland : COLERAINE & SUBURBS (PART OF)
sub-division 1 :    BACK LANE (OFF STONE ROW, UPPER)

the date for this entry is 1859. Let me know if you want any more details. 

I have two separate Wilson lines in my history one from Cambridgeshire via Yorkshire and the other from Kings Count/Offaly. This Offaly branch we believe originate somewhere in northern Ireland. We were always told that the N.I. Wilson line was connected to the US president Woodrow Wilson!

welcome to RootsChat! - and good luck with your search

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 August 08 14:56 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Tillymum. Hopefully we'll be able to help you but first a few questions.
1889 marriage- name and occupation of Lizzie McNeill's father and her residence? also John Wilson's residence and his father's occupation? names of the two witnesses?
Have you found John Wilson and family in 1901 census? did they stay in the Coleraine area?
There are lots of Wilsons and McNeills in the Coleraine area and more information would really help to search for them.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Tillymum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 August 08 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Shanew147, thanks for the information. I'm fairly new to all this and still learning about the best places to look for information. All I have about Alex Wilson is that he was a labourer (at time of sons marriage). Anything else you can tell me would be appreciated. Incidentally, you mention a connection to the Wilsons in Cambridgeshire - thats where I am. My mother came here when she was 16, met my dad, and the rest as they say is history! Thanks again for your help.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 August 08 14:40 BST (UK) »
Tillymum- I can check lots of Coleraine sources but only if I have more information.
1889 marriage- name and occupation of Lizzie McNeill's father and her residence? also John Wilson's residence and his father's occupation? names of the two witnesses?
Have you found John Wilson and family in 1901 census? did they stay in the Coleraine area?
There are lots of Wilsons and McNeills in the Coleraine area and more information would really help to search for them.

Offline Tillymum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 August 08 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hey aghadowey, thanks for the welcome.  Lizzies father was James McNeill and he was a shoemaker. Johns father (Alex Wilson) was a Labourer. At the time of marriage both John and Lizzie were residing in Coleraine. Witnesses to the marriage were Rose Ann McClarty and Hugh McClarty. I do know that one of the sons Danny stayed in Coleraine (Mount Street) one died and the other - my grandad Davy Wilson moved to Portrush. As I mentioned there is talk of another son (sent to Canada). But I'm afraid I know nothing about John and Lizzie, I'd love to know what happened to them. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Offline Tillymum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 August 08 14:54 BST (UK) »
Sorry aghadowey - forgot to say that I hadnt found John Wilson in the census.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 August 08 15:06 BST (UK) »
Will do a bit of digging and let you know what I do and don't find.

Offline Tillymum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 August 08 15:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, look forward to hearing from you.