Author Topic: Wilson/McNeill - Coleraine  (Read 8703 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson/McNeill - Coleraine
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 August 08 15:16 BST (UK) »
One more question- residences (streets or townlands) of John Wilson and Lizzie McNeill in 1889?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 August 08 15:17 BST (UK) »
in Slater's Directory for 1881 there is

John Wilson Farmer in DUNBOE PARISH.
Williiam Wilson Farmer in KILDOLLAGH PARISH

and about 16 Boot & Shoe Makers - but no McNeills..and no sign of any McClarty

In 1870 Slaters theres a similar number of Boot & Shoe Makers - but no again McNeills...

there is however Wilson John, 5 Captain street - Boot A. Shoe Maker (the s in Wilson is unclear in this - it could be Wilton)

I also just spotted an Alexander Wilson, Railway place - Spirit & Porter Dealer.

My Cambridgeshire Wilson ancestor is one of my problem people he lists his birthplace as Chatteris in about 1844 but first appears on a census in Yorkshire in 1871 possibly via Lincolnshire.

So my Wilson ancestor started of near you and ended up on this side of the Irish sea and one of yours did the reverse! - small world!

Shane.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Tillymum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 August 08 15:51 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey - John and Lizzie McNeill lived in Mount Street, Coleraine for a while - am presuming this was after their marriage. Don't know how long for or where they went after that (if indeed they went anywhere - they could have died there.)
My grandad, his brother Danny and another brother Robert all lived there as children. David and Robert both worked in a foundry in Mountsandel Ave, Coleraine. Robert died first, David joined the Navy and after that went to live in Portrush. Danny lived in the house in Mount Street until he died. Hope this helps. Thanks.
Coleraine and Portrush - Wilson, McNeill, Stewart

Offline Tillymum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 August 08 15:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Shane, I really appreciate it. Being across the water makes it difficult to access records. I did come over to Portrush and Coleraine in 2006 to do some digging around and found out a few things. I could do with another trip I think. And yes it is a small world. Chatteris is just a few miles away from where I live.

Offline Tillymum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 August 08 16:19 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey - just sorted through some notes I have - found another address. They must have lived in Woodbine Terrace, Coleraine at some stage, because one of the sons:Robert (born 1903)  was aged 22 when he died on 14/7/25. Hope this helps.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 August 08 16:25 BST (UK) »
Address I wondered about was their addresses on the marriage certificate as that might be where their families lived.
Woodbine Terrace address is vital. Will check burial records when I can but depends on when I can get some free time in Coleraine (and next week is looking hectic).

McClarty was/is a Coleraine name. Ulster Covenant (1912) lists Hugh McClarty, Coleraine and also Ellen and Lily (no Rose).

'foundry in Mountsandel Ave.' was Kennedy's foundry.

Offline Tillymum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 August 08 16:35 BST (UK) »
I have an Extract of Entry in the Register of Marriages from Emerald Ancestors, it just says Coleraine in the residence column. Thanks for offering to check records for me.

Offline Tillymum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 August 08 16:58 BST (UK) »
Blimey -sometimes I can't see for looking - just looked at Grandads birth certificate, it states that he was born at 'Commons, Coleraine', so presumably they all lived there. This was in 1897. Sorry to mess you about Aghadowey.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 August 08 17:06 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify something before I go put together the tea- Woodbine Terrace was not a street name but the name of a terrace of houses on Mount Street. 'Commons' makes sense- Long Commons also in Coleraine.
Kennedy's foundry would have emplyed a large number of workers most of whom lived nearby. Was started by Hugh Kennedy of Ballycaghan, Aghadowey Parish.