Author Topic: War Child  (Read 690 times)

Offline boggabarrett

• Sorry my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
War Child
« on: Thursday 21 August 08 23:45 BST (UK) »
Whilst chatting to a cousin recently, using Skype, she is in England, I am in Australia, the subject came up that it seems to be a family tradition that most of the women have gone to their wedding pregnant, including her mother and that her eldest sister was born only a few months past the wedding. She told her sister this and they checked with their fathers second wife, she confirmed this and on asking if there were any other secrets, the second wife reluctantly told my cousin that she was in fact six months old when her father returned from the war.

This surprised and excited her, and when she told me, was quite surprised when I told her that I knew about this, and that it was common knowledge in the family, but not amongst her and her siblings. I got in touch with a few more cousins, and the story came out that most of the women and children were evacuated to Devon, aunt Lil being a fairly young woman took up with a local soldier, and the upshot was that she became pregnant, she seems to quietly have gone home had her baby and waited for her husband to return. Nobody knows waht happened when her husband came home to find this beautiful red headed baby there, but they went on to have three more children, so they must have come to a fairly amical aggreement.

Asking amongst the older cousins, we have a name, and some facts on where he was from and what his father did, more that enough to probably trace him. The cousin in question is quite excited as I said, and would love to know more, and possibly see a picture, and be in contact with any relations she may have on that side.

The thing is, should we pursue this quest? Could we upset people? and how would we go about doing it?

Any suggestions or opinions would be gratefully accepted.

Bogga
Steggel:- Kent, Essex, Newcastle upon Tyne, Norfolk.

Barrett:- Kent, Essex, Ireland

Raymes:-Norfolk, Essex, New South Wales

Ainger:- Essex, Kent

Cockerill:- Canada

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: War Child
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 August 08 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Bogga

Yes you could upset people... but you wont know unless you try to find out.  Your cousin might have half brothers and sisters who would love to meet her.  She may even find that the soldier died in the war, but you might find a grave... and it would be kinda nice to know his genes were carried on.

If it were me I would want to know more, but if other people didn't  want to know about it I wouldn't push them.

I think you'd have to look for his birth, death and maybe a marriage.  Find out who his family were and then try to trace forwards.  You could even try looking for his family on GenesReunited etc.  You could check for his medal card.

I'm sure lots of people on here will have lots of other ideas.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk