Author Topic: Good News ! 1911 Census!  (Read 52231 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Good News ! 1911 Census!
« Reply #144 on: Saturday 23 August 08 08:40 BST (UK) »
Do you suppose Ancestry will have the 1911, or will those of us who use that have to change subscriptions ??   I can't think that Ancestry will be wanting to loose customers !

The 1911 census has been awarded to brightsolid (formerly Scotland Online) which operates ScotlandsPeople and findmypast - see:

http://www.1911census.co.uk/

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Saturday 23 August 08 10:29 BST (UK) »
see my post now merged into this thread - initially, FindMyPast (part of the group AVM mentions) will have the monopoly, and doubtless will charge like a wounded bull   :D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Saturday 23 August 08 21:12 BST (UK) »
The email from findmypast said

www.1911census.co.uk will be the first, and for a time the only place to access the 1911 census online.

So other companies will be able to produce their own scans and indexes at a later time

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline drodgers34

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Sunday 24 August 08 03:09 BST (UK) »
Heres some of my thoughts on 1911 and what might flow from it.

Addresses for each household - you will be able to extrapolate backwards on families which stayed in the same house and find actual houses in previous censuses etc - many addresses previous to 1911 just give a village as the address. - There will also be alot of interst in maps and address liastings from that era

1912- was the time mothers maiden name was put on birth indexes and spouses surname put on marriage indexes. If such as free BMD fills in years after that, building the family hedge as someone said will be straightforward.

You may not be that interested in finding dozens of living cousins but the other thing I see growing iin family/place history is collaboration.

I decided to 'model' all the inhabitants of an ancestor's village (in ancestry initially) and out of a 400-600 people village, I would have at least 20-30 current ancestry members with ancestors.

If we all share our 'general' information about the village we are all potentialy 10-20 times better off for info.

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Sunday 24 August 08 11:46 BST (UK) »
it wouldnt be very good releasing the 1811 census as it doest tell you anything!
1831 you might be able to get something from, to put the tithe maps of 1836 online, now that would be great
you'd know who was in each household and exactly where they were living.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Sunday 24 August 08 11:55 BST (UK) »
it wouldnt be very good releasing the 1811 census as it doest tell you anything!

It depends very much on the area. I have an 1811 for part of north London which lists all the household heads, their occupations and how many were in the household. I've also got a full listing of houselholds with ages for a Scottish Parish from 1794 and the St Asaph Notitia of 1681 is Online.

Still looking forward to the 1911 though  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ozwendy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Monday 25 August 08 03:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have not been paying attention to the info on the 1911 census, ( I thought it was a long way off) but these pages have sparked my interest. I looked at the website and have read through a few of these pages, but I am still not sure - what is it that you can gain access to 2009? How is the census going to be gradually introduced? I hope a don't sound 'a bit thick'. But if some one can explain simply I'd appreciate it. ::)

Cheers
Wendy
Faricy -  Lancs.
Faricy, Gardner, Jones, Aldred, Battersby, Calland, Webb, Jones,Evans - Hindley, Lancs
Coleman, Price, Taylor, Ryan, Joyce, Barrett, Astin - Oldham/Failsworth, Lancs
Gardner, Evans, Jones, Williams,Sambrook, Davies,Wardman,Ellis  - Montgomeryshire/Worthern,Salop
Price, Thomas, Jones - Chester/Flint
Jones,Webb,Griffiths,Bagshaw,Bowen,Richards, - Dawley/Wellington,Salop
Faricy - Waterford/Cork - Ireland
Faricy, Robles - Austalia

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Monday 25 August 08 08:45 BST (UK) »
Theres not much more I'm aware of than the News pages of that site ..... there is detail of why its being phase-released early on the National Archives site ......

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/1911census/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Monday 25 August 08 11:57 BST (UK) »
There will be minor restrictions on the information released in 2009, in that the column relating to disabilities is blanked out until the full release in 2012. But apart from that, there is more detail than on previous years; married women were asked how long they had been married, and how many children, living and dead, had been born of that marriage. There is also a bit more detail on occupations, and for the first time the whole of the British Army is enumerated, including regiments stationed abroad.

Brightsolid/ScotlandOnline/Findmypast are TNA's Licensed Internet Associate for 1911, but after it is fully released in 2012 other companies will be able to buy non-exclusive licences as they can already  for earlier censuses and other records, and index them for their own websites. No doubt this will include all the 'usual suspects', Ancestry etc...

This census is also roughly contemporary with the Valuation Office Survey 'Lloyd George's Domesday' so it will be a wonderful opportunity to combine census data with detailed information about places - local history heaven!

Mean_genie