Author Topic: SERJEANT of Clive - photo album mystery  (Read 2415 times)

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
SERJEANT of Clive - photo album mystery
« on: Saturday 23 August 08 20:01 BST (UK) »
I'm posting in the common room because many family "events" for this family didn't happen in Cheshire where expected!  ???

I'm trying to resolve a puzzle from a photo album.  The handwritten caption in the album reads:
"Mrs Serjeant, aunt of Alfred Pennell, sister of A Barratt 1st wife of John Pennell" - Mr Serjeant of Clive [presumably this is Clive, Cheshire].

The photograph album has been passed down through the PENNELL family of Liverpool hence the uncertainty of where to post.

A Barratt = Alice BARRATT and her mother was Alice BIRCHALL whose family is below:

Alice BIRCHALL married Ralph PENNELL at Wistaston in 1802.  Children:
Samuel born 1803 married Ann Spragg in 1832 at Astbury
Richard born 1804
James born 1806 married Mary SMITH in 1836 at Nantwich
Mary Ann born 1809 married Thomas ECCLES in 1878 Liverpool
Martha born 1811 - she was the 2nd wife of John PENNELL of Liverpool and half sister of Alice BARRATT [bear with me here!!  :P]
Ralph born 1814 married Eliza JEPSON 1843 at Rudheath

Ralph PENNELL died in 1814 before the birth of his son, Ralph.

Alice PENNELL nee BIRCHALL m James BARRATT in 1815 at Astbury.  Children:
Elizabeth b 1816
Alice b 1818 m John PENNELL in 1847 at Davenham (Alice was his 1st wife - he then married her older half sister)
George b 1822 m Ann CARTER in 1869 at Byley

The only person I can see who could be the "Mrs Serjeant" in the photo is Elizabeth BARRATT born 1816 given the caption.  I have her in the census as follows:
1841: HO107 118/30/5 Page 8 at Willaston, Cheshire
1851: HO107 2166/222 Page 20 at Wharton, Cheshire
1861: RG9 2607/129 Page 5 at Stanthorne, Cheshire
I can't find Elizabeth after 1861.

I can't find any marriages that match with any of the family names (given that the caption could be wrong, although others have proved to be 100% accurate!)

The PENNELL relationships are fully established, John PENNELL who married Alice BARRATT was the nephew of Ralph PENNELL who married Alice BIRCHALL.

Phew!!

Sorry this is so long, but I don't want to send anyone on a wild goose chase for information I already have - any ideas on the photo gratefully received.

Jean

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline albarratt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SERJEANT of Clive - photo album mystery
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 August 10 18:21 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was born 1860 he was John Barratt, Married to Hannah Sargent born 1861 Staffordshire. We may have a connection but I haven't managed to get as far back as you.

If you need any more information from me please get in touch.

Al

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SERJEANT of Clive - photo album mystery
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 August 10 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Al, and welcome to Rootschat!

I'm sure you will get plenty of help on here to get you further back.

I still haven't solved the photo mystery, I've just had another look at marriages to see if there is anything that might fit, but no luck.

The only move forward is that I have found a marriage of Elizabeth BARRATT b 1816 to George MOSELEY in 1870 at Christ Church Wharton - and she doesn't appear to have been married previously.

Do let me know if you manage to find a connection

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)