Author Topic: Skating on thin ice? -Winnipeg Request  (Read 5819 times)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Skating on thin ice?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 August 08 11:12 BST (UK) »
I asked the Legislative Library of Manitoba to search for an obituary.They did n't find one.They did find a small article( in the Winnipeg Free Press,April 27,1916 page 5) regarding the disappearance of Annie on April 1st & stated she was still missing.
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 August 08 17:30 BST (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Skating on thin ice? No!
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 September 08 18:56 BST (UK) »
The Legislative Library in Winnipeg has located another newspaper article (Winnipeg Tribune 29th June 1916) regarding Annie Barclay. Her body was found in the Assiniboine River on 28th June 1916. It appears she was "despondent after her sweetheart enlisted in the army" & she commited suicide. I am still awaiting the death registration that I sent for. I managed to persuade a friend to order it on his credit card.It seemed the easiest way to pay for it.
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline catylou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 September 08 20:00 BST (UK) »
Re your debit card query, if it's a Visa Delta one then it should work fine, as it uses the same information and processes as a Visa credit card does.  If it's a Switch card, it won't work I don't think.

Cheers,

Cate.
BKS: Godfrey, Lineham
DBY: Pickerin, Read, Swann, Wragg
GLS: Sutton, Smith, Hampton
SAL: Cooke, Griffiths, Tudor
STS: Walker, Dewsberry

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 September 08 16:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks catylou, for that piece of info. For security reasons I won't be divulging any of my bank card details! Regards,
flst

Offline grub

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Xander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 September 08 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Fi
It would be great if you could let us know what the death reg. says....

Grub
Bayley, Dorset, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cheshire and others.
Antrobus, Somerset/Glouster
Skelton, Heslington, Yorkshire
James, Norfolk, and London
Delasalle, London area
Gravett/Grevet, Surrey
Also searching the above in Australia

“Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 September 08 10:44 BST (UK) »
Will do!I'm intrigued as to what it'll say!I understand I'll have to wait a while to get the details.Once I get that, the next step will be to try & locate her grave.I'm assuming she's buried in Winnipeg but who knows!
flst

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 September 08 20:26 BST (UK) »
Oh, did the obit not state place of internment? J.J. Oh Just looked again & see that is was an article...
wonder if they checked for an obit...want me to check for one in the next 3 days of papers?
~~~~~~~~~~~
Looked in the 3 cemeteries available online & didn't spot it....
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 September 08 16:56 BST (UK) »
JJ,thanks for your kind offer.I did ask the library to do an obituary search but they said there was n't one. There may not be one under the circumstances.If they'd to do an inquest perhaps the burial took place at a later time than usual?I'm hoping the death registration certificate will give a few more clues.