Author Topic: James BARNES - Cottered 1799  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
James BARNES - Cottered 1799
« on: Sunday 24 August 08 00:35 BST (UK) »
Would a rootschatter who has easy access to HALS look-up the baptism of James Barnes in the Cottered Parish records. I've found a Cottered baptism in IGI for a James Barnes, son of Thomas and Elizabeth, dated 24th April 1799. I am dubious about this entry and would like it checked against (a) the Cottered parish BMD microfiche and (b) the Bishop's Transcript (if it exists). Any extra/different details from those recorded in IGI would be good. Any indication that James' mother was a Mary not Elizabeth or was Elizabeth (dec'd) would be great.

The story is that I'm seeking the birth/baptism of my great great grandfather. He died in May 1892 at the age of 94. I've traced him through the various census records. He claimed to be born in three different Herts villages - Cottered, Ardeley and Rushden. Cottered is the only one of the three to have a baptism of a James Barnes at about the right time. (His parents Thomas and Mary nee Warren were married in Ardeley and they lived in Rushden for over 40 years.)

Taken at face value this seems great as his father's name was Thomas. However, as stated, his mother's name was Mary not Elizabeth which obviously throws a spanner in the works.

In addition I find, also according to IGI, that there are only two Thomas and Elizabeth Barnes couples producing children at this time in Hertfordhire. One couple live in Barley the other Sandon. Both couples baptised all their children in their respective villages, including one each in 1799. This would appear to make it most unlikely that they would have another child baptised elsewhere. Who therefore were Thomas and Elizabeth of Cottered? This couple appear not to exist!

The lookup would be great. Any observations that could throw light on the incorrect name for the mother as recorded in IGI would be of interest. I have nothing to suggest that Mary was ever called Elizabeth. She had seven other children with Thomas all bapt. Rushden on each occasion the mother was named Mary.

Thanks

Benzol
Herts Barnes/Baines Bottom(s) Dawson Odell (Pirton, Sandon)
Somerset Bull Churchill Ferguson Palmer (Crewkerne, Misterton)
Scotland McNaughton Douglas Archer Robertson (Perth)

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James BARNES - Cottered 1799
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 September 08 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Benzol,

The 1799 baptism entry in the Cottered Parish Records states   ...   
                James son of Thos and Eliz BARNES Ap 28.     
The date is the only change from the IGI info.    There are no Bishops Transcripts for Cottered at HALS. 

Regards   ...   Peter
Census information is Crown Copyright http:/www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: James BARNES - Cottered 1799
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 September 08 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the lookup on my behalf. At least it cements the IGI information. Pity about the BTs, although not too surprising.

Cheers Benzol
Herts Barnes/Baines Bottom(s) Dawson Odell (Pirton, Sandon)
Somerset Bull Churchill Ferguson Palmer (Crewkerne, Misterton)
Scotland McNaughton Douglas Archer Robertson (Perth)