Author Topic: Oldham - missing districts 1891?  (Read 1221 times)

Offline ozwendy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Oldham - missing districts 1891?
« on: Monday 25 August 08 03:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

I wonder if any one knows anything about the 1891 census of Oldham? I have a subscription to Ancestry and I can't find some of my family. In the list of enumeraiton districts for oldham below town numbers 28 to 39 are missing. I suspect it is in these areas where my family was living. Does this mean that only Ancestry hasn't got them and that they could be available somewhere else or does it mean the records are missing all together? Why do they list a census as being complete if some is missing? I'd appreciate any info :)

Cheers
wendy
Faricy -  Lancs.
Faricy, Gardner, Jones, Aldred, Battersby, Calland, Webb, Jones,Evans - Hindley, Lancs
Coleman, Price, Taylor, Ryan, Joyce, Barrett, Astin - Oldham/Failsworth, Lancs
Gardner, Evans, Jones, Williams,Sambrook, Davies,Wardman,Ellis  - Montgomeryshire/Worthern,Salop
Price, Thomas, Jones - Chester/Flint
Jones,Webb,Griffiths,Bagshaw,Bowen,Richards, - Dawley/Wellington,Salop
Faricy - Waterford/Cork - Ireland
Faricy, Robles - Austalia

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Oldham - missing districts 1891?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 August 08 05:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

The fact that there is a gap in Enumeration District numbers does not necessarily mean that they are missing.  If you check some of the other Civil Parishes you will find not all numbering is 1 to ??. My guess is that Civil Parishes sometimes change between censuses causing Enumeration Districts to change parishes. There is probably an explanation in the National Archives. If you are familiar with the area you could try the neighboring parishes.

Andy

Offline SandraC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Annie with Brenda
    • View Profile
Re: Oldham - missing districts 1891?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 August 08 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy

Do you want to post a list of the MIAs & we can try alternative ways of finding them?

Regards
SandraC
Researching Clark, Holt, Threlfall, Platt, Walker, Bowers, Culshaw in Manchester, Salford, Ormskirk & Southport.
Also, Craggs, Hamer, Sampson, Hesketh, McNamara, Hodson.

All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk