Author Topic: Harold and Ethel Jay - Otago  (Read 3099 times)

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Harold and Ethel Jay - Otago
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 16:18 BST (UK) »

As an educated guess, 

Yes

:)

Offline pnm

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 22:31 BST (UK) »
Educated and correct!

I'm catching up, yelkcub.

Offline spidey

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian - Derek Jay is my father and Harold and Ethel Jay were my Grandparents. Can I help you with something?

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hello - and good to hear from you. My interest in Ethel Jay (formerly Page) started quite recently when I was lucky enough to establish online contact with some relatives I didn't know I had (of which you are another). We are all descendants of Charles H Page and his wife Miriam. There was a family rift around 1909 and my grandfather James Page lost touch with his two brothers, Walter and Arthur, who both moved to Grimsby from south Manchester. The people I met recently descend from Walter and Arthur. Ethel was on of Walter's children, and all we really knew about her was that she married a man called Jay and lived in N Zealand. We know that Ethel and James Harold Jay sailed from the UK on the 'Captain Cook', departing 19 June 1956; with them was Derek and Rosalie, presumably JHJ's children from a first marriage. We are not really sure whether Ethel had been married before, and whether she might have had children from a first marriage.
It would be good to hear any impressions of her personality, stories, recollections etc, as family history is much more interesting if there are human stories attached.
By the way, as I understand it one of Ethel's sisters, Annie, is still alive in a care home in Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire, aged over 100.
If you would prefer to contact me off-group, I'll send my email address in a private message
Ian

Offline newbe_nz

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 23:11 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschats Spidey :)

Newbe
Purcell, - Limerick - Ireland,Australia, Westland, NZ
Coppell  - England 1734 to now, New Zealand - 1853 to now
Buckby - England, Australia, New Zealand - 1630 to now
Smith New Zealand
Parker -England - New Zealand  - 1800 to now
Lilley,Lillie, Lilly  - England -New Zealand - 1800 to now
Dykins - Wales, England, New Zealand -  1752 to now
Reynolds, England- 1800 to now
Newdick -Norfolk and Suffolk England , Australia, New Zealand - 1700 to now

Offline lynukk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 31 January 15 19:52 GMT (UK) »
james Harold jay was the step son of my great uncle ernest moses wright and his wife Emily jay...formaly plastow. James Harold jay was firstly married to dorothy Martha alcock

Offline lynukk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 31 January 15 20:03 GMT (UK) »

Her father Walter was a musician. He played Cornet in an orchestra. Ethel married James Harold Jay (her next door neighbour, following his wife's death) in St Aidens Church, Cleethorpes on 1 March 1953. Ethel's stepchildren (only), Norma, Barry, Terry, Derek and Rosalie.Ethel and Harold (Plasterer), came to New Zealand with Derek and Rosalie in July 1956. They lived in Milton, Otago for three months in a transit camp. Milton was a bit of a culture shock! Ethel worked for a short time at the local wollen mills. They moved to Mosgiel, Otago on 25 October 1956 (26 miles North of Milton). They bought a new three bedroom house and resided there until Harold died 21 December 1981. Ethel bought a two bedroom flat in 1985 and resided there till her death, 5 November 2001. .

Ethel enjoyed her rather large flower garden, knitting, tapestry and a good game of scrabble with friends and neighbours. Ethel and Harold enjoyed a very good lifestyle and Ethel remained in good health until her late 80’s. Harold became ill with lung cancer and a brain tumour after his stroke in January 1981. Ethel nursed him until the end

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 31 January 15 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply. You probably noticed that my posting was made over five years ago - since which I have to confess I haven't been doing a great deal of genealogical research. I've passed on your reply to a descendant of Walter Page - someone I've never met except via the internet, but with whom I collaborated for quite some time while we were both researching our Page ancestors. Ethel was my maternal grandfather's niece, though I'm fairly sure the two never met one another. Oddly enough, one of my grandfather's sisters spent some years in New Zealand.
With thanks for your reply, and best wishes.