Author Topic: Urgent: Missing Hodge (Collins) Homechildren  (Read 24373 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Urgent: Missing Hodge (Collins) Homechildren
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 28 August 08 15:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Karen have added it to the BHC resources thread I made yesterday hilighting Quarriers...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,313318.msg2045534.html#msg2045534

I's so much more organized if we can keep more than one resource per page, as it makes for easier searching...hope you don't mind

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,313318.msg2045534.html#msg2045534

and our banter is bringing this thread back to the top....so hope you don't mind, L.J. The more eyes the better! ( as you've noted!) I'm also going to contact the others who like to help on Home Children queries as I was busy working so might have missed it until next week were it not for Karen notifying me for Manitoba help...
I'll try to get the rootschat community ball rolling once again... ;D

♥ Hugs to all, J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 28 August 08 19:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks J.J. How about this to get the ball rolling:

MORE QUESTIONS ON DOWN, CHRISTINA AND FRANCES

In CEF sign up Norman Richard Down was born July 17 1891 but this is likely in error because he died in Vancouver, 7 Jan 1958, age 65 according to registration # 1958-09-001261, which cites him as born July 17 1892.

Norman Richard Down arrives in Montreal in 1913, age 20/21 depending on month of arrival

In his CEF sign up of October 25, 1917 he gives his mother as next of kin, and he would be age 25

In a manifest of the “Port of Winnipeg” he is age 29, a grocer, living at 610 Simcoe St Winnipeg and married to Bertha Down and destined for Los Angeles. The date of the manifest is in question. If it is earlier than 1922 then Bertha is either not Elizabeth (i.e. is his first wife) or is Elizabeth to whom he is engaged even though the manifest says married

On February 24 1922, age 30, he married Elizabeth Sinclair Hodge in Winnipeg

Christina Hodge on a “Port Huron Michigan” manifest is age 37 single, a dressmaker, a Scotch Canadian, from Toronto, “sister” Jane Campbell 2423 Dundas St West, destined for Los Angeles California. The date of the manifest is in question. The description fits our Christina Hodge except for age depending on the date of the manifest. And mistakes can be made with age if there is a Scottish brogue. If Jane Campbell is her sister why is her name Campbell and not Hodge, unless she is married or is Campbell the name of Christina’s adoptive family? I could find only one other Christina Hodge in Ontario at this time and she is an unlikely match

So why were both Norman and Christina going to Los Angeles on either the same or different dates?

RM told me that Elizabeth and Frances were very close (they were born just one year apart) and Elizabeth talked of him often

I SPECULATE that Elizabeth and/ or Frances were in Los Angeles. Christina visited and emigrated. Norman went perhaps to bring his future bride back to Winnipeg; whether she is Bertha or not needs to be established. Or perhaps he went to Christina’s wedding, or that of Frances.

Lines of evidence which may clear this up include:
•   Finding the Campbell’s in Toronto
•   The Hodge/Down marriage certificate….who were the witnesses?
•   Records for Christina and Frances in the US….KarenM already hot on the trail has been combing through California!
•   Another marriage record for Bertha and Down
•   A death or divorce record for Bertha
•   Any other border crossing papers e.g. for Elizabeth, Frances

I hope I have not muddied the waters and I do not wish to overly impose on anyone, but as J.J. said we are slowly winning this one.
Best wishes, Lumber-Jack
Cook, Coggins, Rutherford, Wheatley - Northumberland, Cumberland, Scotland, Australia
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 29 August 08 21:22 BST (UK) »
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=44480
a Jane Campbell who was a home child imm. 1908 from Scotland in 1991 census Leeds
but then there are tons of Janes...so could be any one of them, I suppose...

My son & I did the directories this afternoon as he had to go drop off books at his new school...
We were about ready to give up as it looked as though we had the wrong man...He'd worked
from the marriage date up in time and I down...
but he finally got a bulls eye...glad we persevered! so will type it up and post soon...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 29 August 08 23:07 BST (UK) »
(MODIFIED to remove confusing data)
Looked at evens from 1910 on..There is another Norman listed in several years,  and
he may show up in uneven listings...but does not show until 1940...not even in 1922 the year he married Eliz....

bus. list:  Down, Richard N.   COOK   CNR   r  40 Whitehall 
Street listing: owner of home listed is: William Ladyman)

Nothing listed...

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 30 August 08 01:44 BST (UK) »
Not that it helps anything, particularly but
http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/DEVON/1998-11/0911525707
DOWN, Enoch, b 1846. Calstock, Tavistock area - married Emma Jane Wakeham, b 1849
some siblings for Norman...

I went to findmypast and there is another Norman imm 1908...and where is he but in Manitoba...
Give me a break...
 >:(
So maybe they weren't related, maybe they were cousins, but 2 Normans of similar age who came from England ended up in the same city??
Plus we were thinking br ( for Safeway listings) meant butcher...so I guess it doesn't...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
just found out that br means branch so none except perhaps the last were the right one...
http://historicity.torontopubliclibrary.ca/webHTY/index.jsp?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=hty_page_5&page=cityDirAbbreviation
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The other Norman in 1911
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=34549

Now know he also went by his middle name as Richard Norman...

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 04 September 08 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi RootsChat friends, the long weekend is over and the children have gone back to school!

Thanks J.J. and son for all your hard work...at least we got an address and some siblings for Norman out of it!

I heard from Quarriers. John, his family and the Quarriers staff were overwhelmed that our team had found RM and her son. Tears of joy and gratitude were shed that Elizabeth had lived a long and apparently fulfilling century of life according to RM, 36 of them happily wed to Norman. They are all grateful to the team for finding her story. Quarriers has discovered Elizabeth's birth certificate which John and the family will send with a letter to RM in, I think, fitting closure.

I am still looking for Christina and Frances( or Frank ).

I have sent off for the wedding certificate for Elizabeth and Norman in case there are witnesses who may give us some clues. I am also waiting for Stats Can to return the 1940 National Registration  Records. I have also requested Norman's war records from LAC. I will report back to list what I may discover from these.

Quarriers have confirmed Francis Stuart Hodge was born 2.7.1895. He was sent to Canada as a child migrant in 2nd April 1910 and last heard of in October of that year when he was  c/o Mr. R. Gould, Dunmore, Ontario. This confirms our finding of Francis Hodge , age 14, on the Hesperian from Glasgow, departure 2 April 1910, arrival Halifax 11 April 1910 in a Quarrier Party of 100 destination: Fairknowe Receiving Home, Brockville, Ontario source: LAC Homechildren Database RG76 C 1b Microfilm T-4736. The Gould of Dunmore is a valuable lead. Do any Gould's out there remember a Frances/Frank Hodge?

Previously on this list we have found a Frank Hodge married Murray May Quickfall in Winnipeg, Manitoba December 22, 1919. And a California Death Index for Francis S Hodge soc sec # 565050732 born 12 March 1908 in "another country" died 3 July 1974 Alameda. Although the birth date is wrong it matches the date Frances was admitted to Quarriers and is therefore worth pursuing assuming that the California connection hypothesis is reasonable as per my last post. Francis is not in the CEF WW1 record so he was either an objector, had a disability or he relocated before 1914. He could have gone to the US(California) or he may have got homesick and returned to Scotland.

I have no further news for Christina (Christian) beyond the ideas and leads in my last post. There has to be a reason why Norman and Christina went to California , Los Angeles.....very tantalising!

That is it for now....all leads would be most welcome.

Best wishes, Lumber-Jack

Cook, Coggins, Rutherford, Wheatley - Northumberland, Cumberland, Scotland, Australia
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 04 September 08 00:44 BST (UK) »

You guys are all something else !!  :D I've been watching this thread in awe !

Teamwork .... nothing like it ... is there ??

Amazing !  :D
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 04 September 08 04:21 BST (UK) »
I have to apologize for not getting back to the archives, as I have been held hostage by a printer! GRRRRR....
Waiting for the call to run & proof something for over a week now! Grrrrr...also been busy with some deadlines so must apologise...

I can't find a Dunmore in Ontario...Do you suppose they meant Alberta?  ::)  :P J.J.

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 04 September 08 04:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Lemon, on rereading the list I noted that you were going to hunt out an obit for Elizabeth. Did you find it or did  I miss it? Thanks Lumber-Jack
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex