Author Topic: Tonfanau Farm photos, Tywyn  (Read 10486 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Tonfanau Farm photos, Tywyn
« on: Monday 25 August 08 14:45 BST (UK) »
Does any one have photos or pictures of the Tonfanau Farm. as it was in the past.
Last occupied about 1960/70 when the army camp was there, so I have been told.
About 4 miles north of Tywyn
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tonfanau Farm photos, Tywyn
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 August 08 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hello wilcoxon,I don't know how familiar you are with the area but the local papers would be The Daily Post and the Cambrian News.Another possibility might be the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth.They have most of the papers and documents for the Peniarth Estate which owned pretty much everything in the vicinity.My Grandfather was the Senior Clerk for the Estate,unfortunately he's not around to ask,but I do know that they kept meticulous records.

Another suggestion might be local postcards,I seem to remember when visiting Towyn as a child that there were postcards of Tonfannau camp.I also seem to remember that motorbike races were held there at one time,so maybe some of the motorbike papers have photos.I also believe that the camp was closer than 4 miles to Towyn,not that it is of any consequence.

Hope this helps,Regards,brawd houdini
Evans-Pencarreg,Llanybyther,Cwrtnewydd[Llanwennog]Cwmann,Merthyr,Llanwinnio,Bedwellty,London,Canada,Scotland and more.
Griffiths-
Cwrtnewydd,Llanfihangel ystrad,Nantcwnlle,Bwlchllan,Penuwch and more.
Davies-
Pencarreg,Cwmann,Llanybydder,Cribyn,Llanfihangel ystrad.
Also Jones in Winnipeg,Canada and Llangeitho,Williams and Lloyd in Tregaron,Llanfihangel ystrad,Cribyn,Gorsgoch,Cardigan

Offline dayoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 October 08 13:22 BST (UK) »
The below link is a website about Tonfanau Camp and has lots of pictures from the earliest days to the 2000's.

http://www.aajlr.org/tonfanau/tonfan_main.html

Regards,

Dave.

Offline graf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 October 08 21:26 BST (UK) »
Tonfanau Farmhouse is a listed building and CADW have

1. A black and white photograph of Tonfanau Farm, taken from
a postcard loaned by Thomas Lloyd. 1988

2. A photo survey comprising six colour photographs of Tonfanau Farm,
from Gwynedd County Council.  1990

More at
http://jura.rcahms.gov.uk/COFLEIN

Offline happa_lee_uk

• RootsChat Extra
  • My great grandfather William Wilkes 1887-1954
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 December 08 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I went on holiday with my mom and dad to Tywyn every year from the late 80's till about 5 years ago, me and my dad would spend days exploring the cliffs and abandoned camp and farm at Tonfanau. I vividly remember the farm in the late 80's before all the old fireplaces were ripped out and it still had old Bakelite dolly switches on the walls.

Of course the whole rambling farmhouse was open up in those days and i would wonder up and down the stairs and into the bedrooms, once we bumped into the farmer who kept his sheep there, it turned out that he grew up in the farmhouse with his parents, they were forced out during the second world war so the farmhouse could be used at military headquarters and sleeping accommodation for the sergeants at the adjoining camp, he said that the farm hadn’t been lived in since the early 1950's. Last time i went there was about 5/6 years ago and the whole place was fenced off and looked as if someone had bought the house and was restoring it which will be great!
Wilkes, Pardoe, Mitchell, Hawkins, Rawlins, Wareham

Offline dayoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 December 08 14:14 GMT (UK) »
I go to stay in the holiday cottage on the side of Tal Y Garreg every year, I was last in Tonfanau in May 2008 and the Farm house is being restored, there is a caravan on the site for the workers and they have done one of the barns up and put a roof on it. It has been in the same state for about the last 2 years with the scaffoldind etc around it, it looks like there hasnt been any work done on it for the past few years.

Regards,

Dave.