Author Topic: Auldchlappie?  (Read 1929 times)

Offline john franks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Auldchlappie?
« on: Monday 25 August 08 14:53 BST (UK) »
Can anyone direct me to Auldchlappie please. It features in the Kirkmichael parish records and was probably a farm in the 1800s and latterly may have been a hotel or holiday accomodation. I can't find it in modern directories.

Thanks

John
Mellanby One-name Study. Also family history of Walker, Braithwaite, Barrett, Weidner, Howard.

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Auldchlappie?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 August 08 20:09 BST (UK) »
If you go to www.old-maps.co.uk you will see Alltklappie Inn and Allt clappy to the right of Kirkmichael.
Good searching.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline john franks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 14:51 BST (UK) »
Got it! Thanks

John
Mellanby One-name Study. Also family history of Walker, Braithwaite, Barrett, Weidner, Howard.

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 August 08 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

If it is the building I think it is, it was just off the crossroads of the A924 ( road from Bridge of Cally to Pitlochry) with the B950. Until the 90s it still had the name displayed outside, it was painted with a bright green on the woodwork and was quite recognisable. My grandparents had a black and white picture of it (on a box for a collapsable picnic cup!) from many years ago with the name on it which is why I recognised it. I believe it became a family home and they may have taken the name down now.

If I come across the picture would you be interested?

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline john franks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 August 08 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Kirsty,

Thanks for your offer of help but I don't think we need a picture. My wife and I are at the early stages of doing some FH research for some Australian cousins and came across the place-name Auldchlappie. At present we don't think it is relevant but were curious about the name - especially as we live in Perthshire!

John