Author Topic: Gratton/Kennon  (Read 3152 times)

Offline Helenmur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gratton/Kennon
« on: Monday 25 August 08 21:27 BST (UK) »
I am Looking for Patrick Gratton Woolen Weaver born abt 1792-94 & Margaret Ann Kennon 1774 Roscommon
 they had two children i know of

A Daughter Margaret Gratton was born 1835 Roscommon Ireland

and A Son Clarence or Carence Gratton was born 1842 Roscommon Ireland he was a Tailor on the 1861 census
I found Margaret and her Son in the 1861 Census for Dumfries when they were Visiting Young Margaret and Her Husband have nothing before and nothing after for them

also Margarets husband Edward Skachill/Skachel born 1836 Galway Ireland nothing for him before 1861 and nothing after 1876

his parents were John Skachel born abt 1800s & Bridget Broderick born abt 1800s I am assuming John and Bridget also came from Galway
I am assuming that they were Catholic as Edward and Margaret Married in the Chapel I have their marriage certificate they seemed to have their 10 children first then got married but earlier birth certificates for the children have them marring in Gretna in 1854 but cant find record of that only their Marriage in 1876

both Fathers occupations I got from the marriage certificate
Reid, Kirknewton,Kirkliston,Winchbrugh
Skachill, Roscommon,Galway
Gratten, Roscommon,Galway
Crow,Kirkliston,Illinois,Arizona,Los Angles
Shields Fife,Canada

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gratton/Kennon
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 August 08 21:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry but could you edit the above post and correct names and dates that are wrong. I'm trying to make sense of it but it all seems to run together and I'm finding it difficult to know what sort of information you are hoping to find in Irish records.
If Patrick Gratton and Margaret Ann Kennon (the first two mentioned in your post) were born in 1700s? then it will be very difficult to find information on them in Ireland without knowing exactly were they lived (not just the name of the county).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 00:13 BST (UK) »
Much easier to read now. However it will be difficult to find these people in Irish records if they moved to Scotland at such an early date.
Civil registration of births, deaths and Catholic marriages in Ireland began 1864. For earlier dates you need church records (if they exist) but to find them you need to know where the family lived (parish if not actual townland not just the county).
First complete census for Ireland is 1901. Only small fragments of earlier ones survive for a few places.
Sources like Griffith's Valuation (mid 1800s) will list tenants but without more details you cannot be sure the record applies to your family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Helenmur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 00:16 BST (UK) »
thank You I have had great difficulty in finding anything for Ireland I was lucky with the marriage of Edward and Margaret as it had who their parents were on it
Reid, Kirknewton,Kirkliston,Winchbrugh
Skachill, Roscommon,Galway
Gratten, Roscommon,Galway
Crow,Kirkliston,Illinois,Arizona,Los Angles
Shields Fife,Canada