Author Topic: Alfred Cockerill  (Read 13724 times)

Offline masie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Cockerill
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 September 09 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Franka,
I live in Commondale and help keep the church clean if you want I will make inquires for you if you are still interested in Alfred's resting place, by the way the Vicar has not been well these last few weeks.

Regards Masie
I am researching King family both in Norfolk & Middlesbrough area

Offline franka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 September 09 09:06 BST (UK) »
Dear Masia,
Thank you for your kind offer.It would be nice to solve the problem o the last resting place of Alfred Cockrill.His mother was Mary Wheldon so was he buried with the Wheldons.
so any information would be most useful.As you will have read Alfred is now officially registered on the roll of the War
Dead..
Thank You for any help you can bring to this sad story
Regards Franka.

Offline masie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 26 September 09 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Franka,

Have checked and no record in Commondale burial but it only begins 5th Sept 1920 before that they are recorded in the Guisborough parish register has Commondale was in Guisborough parish and not Danby we only became part of this parish a few years ago.
There is a burial for John Wheldon of the Cleveland Inn recorded for 1923 but didn't see one for Mary.
Will you let me know if you eventually find his burial as the people of Commondale will be interested in his story part of it we knew but your part in adding him to the roll of the War dead is new and I plan to display it in the village hall.

Regards Masie
I am researching King family both in Norfolk & Middlesbrough area

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 27 September 09 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Masie,  Welcome to Rootschat  :)
I wish we had known you lived in Commondale when madpants and I visited!

Hello Franka, thank you for your pm, glad to know that the GWGC has accepted that Alf's grave is missing and that his name will be engraved on the Brookwood Memorial.

A good outcome

Kind regards
Barbara
 :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline spanner9978

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Dear Masia,
Thank you for your kind offer.It would be nice to solve the problem o the last resting place of Alfred Cockrill.His mother was Mary Wheldon so was he buried with the Wheldons.
so any information would be most useful.As you will have read Alfred is now officially registered on the roll of the War
Dead..
Thank You for any help you can bring to this sad story
Regards Franka.

Franka I've just joined this site and read these threads.I've been laying a wreath and crosses on this monument for the passed 30+ years.Although I'm not a Grenadier I was in the Coldstream Guards.I was up on the moor last Sunday and now we total 30+.I don't know were the grave is but as anybody tried Castleton?

Offline charliewatson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Franka,

Did you get anywhere with finding the grave of Alfred Cockerill?

I volunteer for a project called In from the Cold and we work with the Commonwealth war Graves Commission to try and locate the as yet unknown graves of service personnel who died in the UK.

Myself and a colleague are focussing on World War One, and Alfred Cotterill is one of the people I'm looking for.

I've read all the relevant posts on Roots Chat but as they were some time ago I wondered if you'd made any progress?

With best wishes,

Charlie Watson