Author Topic: Alfred Cockerill  (Read 13723 times)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Cockerill
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 July 09 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Franka

Commondale church, St. Peter's has this contact information:

Tel: 01287 660388
email to Reverend Dr Michael Hazelton   mjh_uk [at] hotmail.com

you need to substitute @ for [at] - and you should really do the same with your own email in your last reply,  to avoid spam

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline madpants

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 00:00 BST (UK) »
Have you had a reply from the vicar in Commondale?  I'm not too far away so could go up and look if you've had no joy from him.
GREENWELL - Middlesbrough
TURNBULL - Houghton le Spring, Coxhoe, Spennymoor
DEVEY - Pentonville, Stockton, M'bro
MOHAN/HUN - Stockton on Tees
SCRAFTON - Darlington
BROADBENT - Saddleworth, Ashton Under Lyne
HEMSWELL - Grantham, M'bro
SIMPKINS - M'bro
SIMPKIN - Little Wratting, Suffolk
MALLALIEU - Saddleworth, Ashton U L
GOODWIN - Macclesfield Forest
SUTCLIFFE - Heptonstall, Ashton U L
PLIMMER - Pontesbury, Ashton U L
CAMBRIDGE - Goulborne, Ashton U L
SIDDALL - Ashton U L

Offline franka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 09:23 BST (UK) »
Dear Babara,
Thank you for your very kind offer. Yes please if you don't mind.
I have tried ringing but get no reply. I have written a letter enclosing the research article about the two Commondale Sheppard boys, asking for help with Alfred resting place. That is about three weeks ago or more ago and no reply.

Alfred's mother was Mary Wheldon. Remarried or born out of wedlock Alfred's logocal resting place is Commondale. If it can be found it will go on the CWGC register.
Again,thank you for any help you can give me in this matter.
Franka

Offline franka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 August 09 15:40 BST (UK) »
Dear Babara
Have you been able to visit Commondale yet?
I still have had no reply from the Vicar even though I gave him a copy of my article in case he found it interesting for the Church mag.
Best Wishest Franka.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 August 09 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Franka,

It was madpants who offered to go to Commondale for you, and I've been away for a few weeks.

We hope to go together on Tuesday this week, so will let you know if we find anything.

Kind regards, Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline franka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 31 August 09 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Babara,
Thank you for your message. It was very kind of you to offer and there is no time scale but it would be nice to get a Ya or Na regarding Commondale.

The Grenadier Gazette will soon be put together for this year and details about the case were published last year so a few words of progress would be welcome. The real motive is to complete the CWGC records. Of coures I am prepared for a negative at Commondale and having exploited Bucks I will have no where to go.
Thank you for your kind offer of help. Say Hello to the Vicar.
Kindest regards
Franka

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Franka

Well Madpants and I had a very pleasant drive over the North Yorkshire Moors to Commondale, but sadly found no gravestone for Alfred Cockerill in the Churchyard there, so sorry, but no further forward with his burial details.

Inside the Church was a list of contact telephone numbers, the Vicar lives at Danby Vicarage, his parish covers Danby, Westerdale, Commondale and a few other places,  I already gave you his telephone number.  The Commondale Churchwarden's name and number was also listed.  I will pm you the telephone number so that you can contact either of them to find the whereabouts of the burial register, that may give a better result than emailing.

Also inside the Church was a list of charges for consulting the burial records, £19 for 1 hour's research including 1 copy of any one entry found :o

The pub landlady (well we needed some refreshment!) told us of a gentleman living in the village who looks after the Churchyard and would probably be able to tell you about Alfred.  I will pm you his details.

Alfred and Robert Leggat's names were on the War Memorial in the village, the picture of the Memorial that I've seen on the internet didn't seem to show the names clearly, so I took photos of them if you're interested, will need your email address (please send me a pm with that) if you wish me to send you those photos.

Kind regards
Barbara

Offline briant

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 19:48 BST (UK) »
"£19 for 1 hour's research including 1 copy of any one entry found"

That seems to be the going rate for parish records that have not gone on  to the main records office,
I was charged the same for a burial over Westmorland way,It's a chance you take,

Good Luck
Richardson    Westmorland & Cumberland
Hall,               Westmorland & Aussie
Titterington    Westmorland & Cumberland(Dalton Gamekeepers)

Cencus information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline franka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 09:33 BST (UK) »
Dear Barbara,
Thank you very much for all that.It was very kind of you to make the effort on my behalf. I really appreciate it.
I had written to the vicar at his Danby address and sent him a draft of the story so he could use it in the church magazine
and no reply, so not much point in wasting more time there.
I would be pleased to have contact with the gentelman looking after the graveyard. You have my email address.
Again thank you and if some thing turns up I will pass the information on for reference.
Warmest regards Franka.