Author Topic: Ancestry fee increase  (Read 17526 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry fee increase
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 09:08 BST (UK) »
If you want the London records you should read DAwnsh comments on this thread first http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,329027.0.html

They will not be as good as you were hoping

Sylviaann

Oh, I think that anyone involved in ancestry research will have realised by now that nothing happens fast  :)

My main concern about waiting until 2012 is whether I'll live that long  ;D

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline acorna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Thursday 25 September 08 09:17 BST (UK) »

When I received the notification,I found that I was being blocked and asked to upgrade for some of the data bases, such as parish records, etc. ,Which I ignored.

I have just trawled through many of the data bases and again have access to all that I had before!

haven't been on ancestry this week, just tried and found the same, it's stopped trying to make me upgrade every time and I seem to have full access again, hurray!

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Thursday 25 September 08 12:01 BST (UK) »

Those of us who have current subscriptions cannot get a refund if we decide to cancel so what we are looking at is whether to continue with Ancestry when our sub expires or go with another site (eg) Find My Past

What Newsfer and myself and others are saying, is that there is an increasing number of users of this board who will post numerous lookup requests rather than use the Ancestry access at their library - or pay for it themselves.  In other words - we pay but they gain!!

If findmypast had the complete censuses on, then I think I'd be sorely tempted to move.  Though I have made quite a few really useful contacts through Ancestry, so I'm sort of loathe to ditch it completely.  One thing I find really annoying is that findmypast have the (well, a fairly limited set of) records of those emigrating from the UK, but ancestry have the immigrants into the USA - so if I wanted to follow a person across the Atlantic, I'd need the two sites!

Does anyone know if there's a comparison anywhere as to what the various genealogy sites like ancestry, findmypast and other smaller names offer?  It would be really useful to see it all in one place in a clear table.

The issue of asking for lookups here is an interesting one, as I'm on both sides of the fence: if something catches my eye that I can help with, I will.  But I don't have ancestry's full world subscription, so  I've asked here for help with US censuses, bmd and immigration for some, and use pay per view for others (usually the closer relatives).  It's unfortunate that Ancestry's US census indexes really don't give enough information to know you've got the right one as ppv starts to become expensive, when it's a common name - that's when it's nice to know a rootschatter might be able to help.
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Thursday 25 September 08 12:27 BST (UK) »

Don't know how many of you have seen the 2 new databases that have crept in... probably part of the selected "not included new"  - still a very long way from complete but the reasoning behind the basic and premium UK packages

England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906 - New! 
England & Wales Marriages, 1538-1940 - New! 

I've found a couple of things on those already.  They seem to be the LDS BIVRI (British Isles Vital Records Index?) - what I understand is a sort of extension to the IGI, which has until now only been available on CDs you could buy from the LDS.  Probably not too expensive to buy the CDs, but the sheer convenience of having the results pop up along with other results and not having to mess with swapping CDs and learning yet another search interface are all very valuable.

With regard to which site to use over another, I find it annoying that the likes of TNA doesn't have a single partner.  Presumably there is a bidding war between ancestry, findmypast (and the other sites, but mainly those two, it seems) for who gets what set of records.  Of course ancestry/findmypast/etc then have to put a lot of work of their own in when it comes to indexing them (maybe digitising them too?), but ultimately it must be down to who offers TNA best value.

If anyone could be bothered, it might make an interesting request to make under the Freedom of Information Act - how does TNA decide which partners to work with, and what level of contribution to TNA's funding do those partners make.  Need to make it sufficiently vague re funding so they can't use a commercial confidentiality defence.
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest