Author Topic: Elliott Family, Fountain hill,Derry  (Read 47533 times)

Offline Quiggs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elliott Family, Fountain hill,Derry
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 21 March 09 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michaela

Its Gabrielle my mum is Aggie Elliott a niece of Hugh,(we both live in Derry) her father was also a blacksmith in Fountainhill. I have heard her talk of Nuggie thats what they called him, your dad's aunt Anna was very friendly with mum but sadly she passed away a few years ago. I think they are all dead. When I see mum tomorrow I will ask her and let you know what she says. Its a small world Vicky is also a family member who didn't know much about her family history, will chat again soon.

Gabrielle

Offline MeMeElliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 22 March 09 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gabrielle, thank you for replying to my message, its very kind of you.  I'm just picking up on this family history research after a long absence - my mum passed away 6  weeks ago to cancer - our time was very much taken up with that, so i'm afraid the researching took a back seat!

Yes, you're right, everyone referred to my grandfather as Nuggie.  I don't know very much about him; I never met him.   I knew that Aunt Anna had passed away - my mum & dad were at her funeral. 

I'm still in close contact with one of Jim's daughters, she was my mum's best friend.  She's finding mum's death a bit too much to cope with, so I don't like bothering (read that as "bombarding" her) with questions about Elliotts!!!

Thank you again for getting in touch, I would really love to chat soon to piece all this together.

Michaela

Offline M MElliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 22 March 09 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi all Elliott Mothers , those still with us and those who have left this planet. Let us celebrate and give thanks for the Mothers who held all our families together
                                                                            Mary

Offline M MElliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 22 March 09 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gabrielle, hope you and Aggie enjoy Mothers Day. I think my Aunt Kitty Kerrigan told me that my Father was in the IRA. She also told me that he had won a scholarship to Drumcondra College in Dublin. Always meant to check that out but never got around to it. Sr Ursala has done a lot of research into the Elliott clan. I have copies which she gave me. I can photo copy them for you. I am going to see Ursala in the next few weeks and I will ask her if she has spare copies. Did you know that the old homestead is still standing at Warbleshinney. It is owned by a farmer and the wine cellar is still there. It would be wouldnt it. Talk to you later MARY

Offline McGee Nuala

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mothers - the only unconditional love we will ever know....
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 22 March 09 12:08 GMT (UK) »
 :) My Great Grandmother's maiden name was Martha Elliott, her father's name was John and mother's maiden name Jane Beggs.  The only piece of information I have is that her father John was from the Eglinton direction, not a lot to go on.   I see you are saying that Sister Ursula has information, any chance there would be a mention of any of my names there......a few week ago, I was told in this chat forum by Denny that it was possible that my Elliott was connected to Fountain Hill Elliotts, Denny is going to check his family tree to see if there is any information there.  I am really at that brick wall and do not know where to go to find information.  My great granny Martha Doherty (nee Elliott) died 2 February 1900 and I found the grave in the city cemetery unfortunately the cemetery records do not state where she was born, her approximate year of birth was 1842, this is worked out from her marriage and at the time of her marriage her address was given as Bishop Street and her father's occupation was given as a labourer.  Her father John Elliott died and her mother Jane (nee Beggs) married again to possibly John Guiler/Guyler.  Information passed down the family said that Jane was attended by the Rev. Hayes whilst living with my grandmother Martha Doherty at 209 Bishop Street where she went to be cared for (she is not in this house in the 1901 census) and died sometime between 1902 and 1908, I have been checking obituary columns in the Central Library Foyle Street Derry but can't find any mention of her death. 

Nuala McGee
Derry

Offline M MElliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 22 March 09 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nuala I'll have a look and let you know Mary

Offline McGee Nuala

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 22 March 09 18:15 GMT (UK) »
 :) Thanks Mary much appreciated. Nuala

Offline Quiggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 22 March 09 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michaela

I was trying to send you a personal message but could'nt get it right if you can figure it out and send me your email address I would love to meet up for a chat.
Gabrielle

Offline vicky elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 23 March 09 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello all ye elliotts! Hope you all had a great mother's day- although husband hacked down my favourite flowering tree without telling me while i was  at the shops. It seems the family is growing quickly by the day. Would love to be able to contribute to people finding out about their own families but cannot- i know very little. Mary- would love a copy of the family tree if possible. Great result for ireland at the weekend- shed a tear for wales though- we can't win every year!

Cheers- Vicky