Author Topic: Elliott Family, Fountain hill,Derry  (Read 47535 times)

Offline M MElliott

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elliott Family, Fountain hill,Derry
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 04 April 09 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann and Vicky and Michaela and all elliotts
This info is from Ursala's research. There is a lot so i must condense it.
Three Elliott brothers from the lowlands of Scotland, deserted the British Army and came to live in Warbleshinney in Ardmore ,Co Derry
They were William
                  Edward
                  James
They were silversmiths but later adapted and became blacksmiths. Opened their 'smithy at Warbleshinney translated from Irish meand the Fox's Tail or brush.
Some of the brothers opened a smithy at the 'Bleach Green Ardmore. The road  Elliotts Brea isis named after the place on which the Forge stood. Havent got exact dates but Edward my great grandfather 1824- 1886 married Mary Agnes ( Molly) Mc Laughlin 1816-1852 from Brineys Quarry in Ardmore
Edward and Molly came to live at 27 Fountain Hill an old school house, after they married around 1846. That is the Elliott family home until the family sold it sometime in the 1980's. It is now a resturant named the Ritz Bar.James b 1850 married Mary Mc Callion of the Bolies DerryEdward and Molly had seven children Bridget, b 1878, Edward ,1879, William b 1880, he became a Catholic priest, Lawerence my grandfather, b 1883, Ellen b 1887, Hugh b 1885, Mary 1890.
Will post some more when i get time. Slan Mary

Offline annnbob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 04 April 09 20:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mary
My Bridget must have been older than the one you mentioned as her son Daniel Logue my grandfather married  Elizabeth Henry in Waterside in 1886  cheers Ann

Offline Quiggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 05 April 09 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone thanks for the info Mary its good to be able to chat to mum about this it helps keep her mind active.  Vicky found some photos of your grandfather in Mums house but he is not young in them I would say they are from his visits in 70's/80's. Have been looking to see if I can find any family snaps when they were young, will keep looking. I also found a memoriam card of his death. Michaella sorry I haven't been in touch but have had a lot on meet over easter for that chat?

Offline vicky elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 18:38 BST (UK) »
hi mary and quiggs and everyone. Hope all all is well with you . mum was down over the weekend. she mentioned that there was a choir of elliotts who came over and participated in the international eistedfodd in llangollen in the 1980s. Do you know if this really happened?  I think mary mentioned that the elliotts are known for their singing. Have a happy easter.
vicky

Offline Quiggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicky your Mum is right, but the choir was not just Elliott's it was called the Foyle Singers, It was in 1977 it was a mixed voice choir which my Mum and Dad were both in. I was over with them at the time. Prior to her death in 1976 Aunt Anna was a choir member also. Indeed the Elliott's are renowned for their singing and many of them were in local choirs in Derry and in Church Choirs. I hope you are a singer  and keeping the Elliott voice going for iam most defiantly not. Happy Easter to you and your family. Chat soon Gabrielle

Offline vicky elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 15:00 BST (UK) »
happy easter too- i hope liverpoool beat chelsea tonight for your boys!

Offline M MElliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 16:18 BST (UK) »
Football. I,m escaping to the country with my daughter. I sent Ursala a card and the web site. Also my son is taking me on a search this weekend for the old homestead and I'll get some phptos if I find it. I had a letter from the Philadelphia Elliotts, powerful players in the history of Philadelphia. Ursala is not sure if they are our line although John who is a lawyer in Philadelphia has traced his roots to Ardmore. His great great grandfather was a blacksmith who emigrated from Derry in the early 1880's and settled in Schukall County in Philadelphia. I went out to visit him and he still has the anvil from that first forge on his desk. he and his brother John are great people. He told me he plans to come to Ireland this year. We should try and arrange a reunion. He has been herea few years ago and I met him then. He was a great friend of the late Cardinal Tomas O Fiach.
So enjoy Easter. Bet it will snow Beir Bua Mary 

Offline oisinh1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 18:55 BST (UK) »
Michaela,
Your grandfather, Nugent, was my grandmothers cousin. Nugents father was Hugh and his mother was MaryAnne nee. Doran. MaryAnne's brother Charlie was my great-grandfather.
Get in touch because I can tell you alot about the Doran's.

Best Wishes,
Oisín
Hassan/Hasson - Derry, Ireland
Fleming - Derry
McCloskey
Gormley
Doherty - Donegal
McLaughlin
Brady
Doran - Derry/Donegal, Ireland
McGowan - Donegal

Offline COLUMBA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 04 May 09 00:07 BST (UK) »
I have evidence that the Rev William Elliott buried in Long Tower died 1880, had an uncle in Philadelphia earlier than 1880,indeed he was left a sum of money by his brother back here in Derry. This uncle was a brother of Fr Elliott's mother. I have the will and it specifically mentions brother Daniel now residing in Philadelphia.
Unfortunately whilst I believe that the Elliotts from Fountain Hill are connected to the Rev gentleman of 1880 I am unable to confirm this.
A small booklet was printed about his life around the time of his sudden
death at the age of 37.
Doherty,McElroy, from Clabby Co. Fermanagh Ireland Gray,and Jessop from Liverpool