Author Topic: ROGERS in Glebe abt 1915  (Read 3876 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rogers in Glebe abt 1915
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 September 08 13:21 BST (UK) »
saw this message, i am looking for electoral rolls for charles rogers and his wife lorna isobel (nee ireland) in 1936, charles was born in england in late 1880's, they were married in 1936 in paddington nsw.

thanks

Hi Alepohori

I can't see Lorna on the rolls 1936 under either name. There are quite a few Charles Rogers but none in Paddington - sorry. Sometimes I miss things - someone else will no doubt check.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rogers in Glebe abt 1915
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 01:01 BST (UK) »
The request by lucybella has been moved...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,386065.0.html
so have deleted my reply and posted it on the new thread.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ROGERS in Glebe abt 1915
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy,
A post office directory in 1915 has

Rogers, John R. Pine Ave Waverley.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 09:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sue.

We are fairly sure our Mr Rogers was living in Glebe.  Next time I'm at the Nat Lib I'll have a look at the rolls.  I started this thread yonks ago before I knew as many places to look as I do now!!

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 June 09 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi JudB,

I have had a quick look through the 1903 NSW Electoral Roll and have found this entry for Forest Lodge polling place.

Forest Lodge is part of the Glebe District of inner Sydney.

John ROGERS, male, 36 Charles St, a bricklayer - no-one else with that surname at that address, no middle initial and no-way of knowing from that roll if this is 'your' chap.    In 1903 you needed to be 21 or over to be enrolled, and women were included too. 

Same roll, same polling place
Henry Stanley OULTON and Susan OULTON, (likely a married couple, perhaps parents of the future wife of John Rogers) at 33 Old Parramatta Road, he was a bootmaker, she was domestic duties (housewife). No others with that surname at that address.  Do you have year of birth for Mary Elizabeth Oulton - perhaps in 1903 she was not yet 21 ?

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 June 09 08:50 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. 

Mary Elizabeth's parents are listed as Henry and Susan according to NSW bmds which gives a birth date of 1884. so Mary Elizabeth would have to wait a couple of years to be on the electoral roll.

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 June 09 09:01 BST (UK) »
Bit More,

In the 1916 Sands Directory for Sydney and Suburbs, there's a Mrs S Oulton at 103 Arundel St Forest Lodge AND at "Our Boys Cafe" at 61 Goulburn St (Sydney CBD).  It would be sensible to consider that the Forest Lodge address was her home and the Cafe was her business.  She would probably have caught a tram from Forest Lodge to the City.  -  My forebears were living in and around Forest Lodge in those times.   

Of course the info above doesn't really answer your questions about John Rogers and his wife, but I think that this Mrs S Oulton would be the mother of Mary Elizabeth, so I hope this helps.

Cheers,

JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 June 09 10:15 BST (UK) »
Arundel St is very convenient... it overlooks Parramatta Rd and the tram line... is about 10 mins by tram to the centre of the city and also directly opposite the main gates of the University of Sydney.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 02:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks again - all grist to the mill, as they say!  This is for a friend so he will be pleased to have the info.

Judith