Author Topic: JENNINGS in swindon?  (Read 7669 times)

Offline B17_Fan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JENNINGS in swindon?
« on: Thursday 28 August 08 23:05 BST (UK) »
My Gt Gran, Annie Jennings, was apparently born in Swindon in 1885. She was orphaned at 10 years old and sent to live at st mary's convent in wantage.

She may have had a brother called Thomas who was killed in ww1.

If anyone has any info that might help, please get in touch. Believe me, this is a huge brick wall that needs taking down!
Steptoe  Morland  Morley  Ellis  Brewer  Seymour  Davis  Kempster  Cox  Jennings  Morgans  Edwards Powell Thatcher Brewer Withers Ferris Strode Kingston Goddard Heath Fishlake

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Jennings in swindon?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 August 08 23:19 BST (UK) »
Nothing for an Annie b Swindon but the 1891 for Brinkworth has this one b 1883 and she has a brother Thomas

All b Brinkworth except Thomas.  Address is just Callowhill Brinkworth Wiltshire

Thomas Jennings 45  sawyer b Thatcham Berkshire
Ann   44 
Thomas  10
Annie   8 
Susan 4 
RG12; Piece: 1589; Folio 82; Page 4

There is another 1891 for an Annie Jennings b 1887 Pool Keynes parents William and Annie but no brother Thomas

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 August 08 23:25 BST (UK) »
Problem is - both families are on the 1901 census which does not tie up with what you say

The one whose details I gave are living in Yorkshire and the ones I mentioned are still in Wiltshire but no son Thomas

The family still in Wiltshire has had a change in that mum Annie has been replaced with Elizabeth S
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline B17_Fan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 August 08 00:16 BST (UK) »
It's so hard to find her. She defintely did go to live at the convent in st mary's, because my nan met annie's guardian from the convent many years later. The convent was a home for penitents.

She was meant to have been sent there because her parents were killed in a pony and trap accident. I guess that would have been in swindon??

Unforunately, The convent hold no admission records for the dates she would have been there.

I would love to know who annies parents were. It is such a brick wall!
Steptoe  Morland  Morley  Ellis  Brewer  Seymour  Davis  Kempster  Cox  Jennings  Morgans  Edwards Powell Thatcher Brewer Withers Ferris Strode Kingston Goddard Heath Fishlake

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 August 08 00:20 BST (UK) »
Who did Annie marry as a copy of her marriage cert will give her fathers name at least plus her age at the time she married

Offline B17_Fan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: JENNINGS in swindon?
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 August 08 00:23 BST (UK) »
I have her marriage cert. There is no fathers name on there. She was 20 (in 1905)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 August 08 00:26 BST (UK) »
No fathers name would seem to indicate that she was illegitimate

Offline B17_Fan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 August 08 00:29 BST (UK) »
I thought it would be because he had died. Or would it say on the cert if the father was deceased?

So do you think she could have been given up and put in an orphanage?

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 August 08 00:34 BST (UK) »
The convent was a home for penitents.

She was meant to have been sent there because her parents were killed in a pony and trap accident.

If the convent was a home for penitents, why would she have been sent there just because her parents were supposed to have been killed.  Like CaroleW, I suspect she was illegitimate and her mother either couldn't cope with her, or re-married and new husband didn't want her.

Lizzie

ps.  Callow Hill, Brinkworth is only a few miles from Swindon, as is Poole Keynes.

Modified - Usually if father is deceased, his name is given on the marriage certificate with the word deceased by it.  I would have said it was very unusual to marry and not give a father's name