Author Topic: Saint John, NB  (Read 8727 times)

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Saint John, NB
« on: Friday 29 August 08 02:49 BST (UK) »
According to the 1851 and 1881 censuses, William Henry ADDISON was born in NB about 1812. He was a blockmaker (as in block & tackle, for shipbuilding) in Saint John in both censuses.

He married Jane UNK, who immigrated from "England" in 1837, fairly soon after her arrival, as their son Edward was born about 1838. Jane died in 1860 and William remarried.

I have looked in all the PANB parts, and can't find a birth for William Henry or a marriage to Jane. That's all I have access to...can anyone come up with anything else?

I know it's a long shot...1812 is fairly early. Very grateful if anyone could find anything.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Saint John, NB
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 August 08 07:58 BST (UK) »
Can't remember how much detail is on New Brunswick death certificates for that period but son Edward Turner Addison died 1908 aged 70 (if I have the correct entry)- would his death ceritificate list his mother's maiden name?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 August 08 10:33 BST (UK) »
Those records will not be online, but some do exist. If they have been microfilmed, you may be able to acquire them through interlibrary loan if you are in Canada.
http://archives.gnb.ca/Documents/CountyGuides/StJohn_en-CA.pdf

The Early County Marriage Registers may show them, but apparently don't include parents' names.
(There is a list of various church records they also hold - it depends on what denomination the family were).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 August 08 14:06 BST (UK) »
Wow, this is exciting, I didn't think anything would come up on this thread.

Aghadowey, what are you looking at? It certainly looks like the right guy, doesn't it?

Jorose, I think I can get an ILL from them even if I'm not in Canada...I shall check. Thank you both so much!

Just ruminating this morning...Jane died in 1875...at the age of 60...not in 1860 :P

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 August 08 14:51 BST (UK) »
Had also found Jane Addison died 1875 but thought she wasn't the right Jane.
On PANB site under Daniel Johnson's newspaper database:
http://archives.gnb.ca/APPS/NewspaperVitalStats/?culture=en-CA

The Daily Telegraph, 2 Sept.1875: d. In this city, 1st inst., Mrs. Jane ADDISON, age 60. Funeral from her residence (east end) 62 Orange St. (St. John) Friday 3 o'clock.

1865/66 directory: William Addison h[ome] 64 King east blockmaker
1871 directory: William Addison 6 King blockmaker

Edward Addison's details under St. John burial permits and deaths in vital statistics section.

Some records were lost at time of Great Fire (1877).
http://website.nbm-mnb.ca/CAIN/english/sj_fire
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 August 08 23:38 BST (UK) »
Could this possibly be them?

William Henry Addison married Jane Cartmell, Oct 25, 1836,

Liverpool, Lancashire, England.

Kathleen
England and Belfast - GOFF, GOUGH, MATHERS, MOXHAM/MOXAM,  OSMOND, PHILLIPS, WINDER, WYKES

Scotland - JOHNSTON, DORWARD, KIDD, KYD, RAMSAY, RAE

Canada - DeWOLFE, HALLADAY, HASKINS, HICOCK, JOHNSTON, OLD/OLDS

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 August 08 01:23 BST (UK) »
Hello China

The IGI has an extracted baptism for a Jane Cartmell, 01 Jan 1815, St Peter, Bolton Le Moors, Lancashire,England; father Hy, mother Margt. If this is your lady there are several other children with these parents in the batch.

Also a submitted entry of a marriage for Henry Cartmell and Margaret Nuttall at the same church.

BTW, the marriage adee7 posted was also an extracted record.

Regards,
Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 August 08 03:01 BST (UK) »
Hi everybody...been chewing this over, in between scratching mosquito bites...

Aghadowey, I still can't find an Edward Turner Addison...only an Edward T. But it's probably the right one. There's also a William J who's probably his brother.

Oh yes, the Great Fire, which also destroyed a bunch of shipping records. It makes a nice pair with the Great Fire in...Belfast?...that burned up all the Irish records. Wouldn't ya just know I'd be looking for a buncha Irishmen in New Brunswick... :P ;D

Kathleen, it's very tempting! But I do have a record of the Addison family being in an alms house in Saint John, and released in 1849...if the family was not well off whatever was William Henry doing sailing to England to marry??

Hi Polarbear, how ya doing? I did find that, and also a Jane Cartmell born in Penrith in 1816, plus a couple of others. A while back I found a Mary Isabella Addison in Penrith, and the birthdate was about 6 years off, but I thought, well, she wouldn't be the first woman to lie about her age if it's her :D But then I found the right Mary Isabella and she was born in NB not England as stated on the census.

Darn them getting married in 1836 anyway...couldn't they have waited a few more months?? >:(

Cheers, and many thanks,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 August 08 05:59 BST (UK) »
 :D good sleuthing, Kathleen!! Seems feasible that if If Wm H. worked on a ship as a blockmaker, then he likely worked as part of a crew when they were on the move as well. (Then he may have settled down more once he married, judging by the births every 2 years) J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com