Author Topic: McNeill, Armstrong, Sloan, Irwin  (Read 19515 times)

Offline morewind

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McNeill, Armstrong, Sloan, Irwin
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Freda
I have a Thomas Sloan b 1830 who was the brother of my GGG Grandmother Esther Sloan who came to Australia about 1855.  Wondered whether he might be the father of your Thomas b 1867.
I am planning to visit the Bann valley area in the first week of April 2010 to further my research into my ancestors there and would greatly appreciate any opportunities to meet people who may be able to assist.
I have a fair bit of information on the descendants of the families in Australia which I am happy to share, and would be keen to find out any links between Thomas McNeill and Abraham McNeill who have adjoining plots in the Kilrea C of I graveyard.  I know Thomas had lots of links to the Burnside and Snipe families whilst the Irwins are related through the Sloans.  Also Abraham was married to Mary Armstrong.
Lots of Thomas McNeill's children also came to Australia and I have details/contacts for them.  Unfortunately they have not been able to shed light on the relationship between Thomas and Abraham.
Hope someone might be able to assist in solving this conundrum!
McNeill - Moynock, Kilrea, Eden
Armstrong-Kilrea area
Sloan - Kilrea
Irwin - Lisnagrot
Pollock -Tamlaght O'crilly, Drumoolish
Nelson - Killymuck
Boggs - Kilrea
Stewart -  Killymuck

Offline pok

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 08 January 10 02:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Freda
Very interested in your family. Your Thomas Sloan born 1867 was the son of Robert Sloan married Ellen Irwin. Robert Sloan was the son of Thomas Sloan married Margaret Irwin. This ties all the Australian connections together.
Thomas Sloan & Margaret Irwin Children Robert, Thomas, Esther & James. (your connection Rosie)
Robert Sloan & Ellen Irwin children  include Robert married Mary Ann Piercy ( your connection Bron)
My connection is the Irwins - Ellen Irwin was my grandmother's aunt. The Irwins, Sloans,  Burnsides , McNeills & Snipes/Knipes were all neighbours at Moyknock & they intermarried a lot!  Would love to hear more from you Freda.
Pauline

Offline morewind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 08 January 10 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Excellent!
Now another little snippit for you, Pauline.
Found a possible father for my Abraham which links in with thomas McNeill.  dates and area match but as yet have not been able to confirm.
An Abraham McNeill married Elizabeth Burnside and they had children Abraham,Thomas, Elizabeth and Neilly, which might explain how thomas and Abraham come to be buried side by side.
Neilly went to the US and his family is well documented in the Irishtown area of Illinois.  He married a Minerva Mills.
Haven't found anything yt about Elizabeth.
I understand notes on this family are on PAF CD 103, but haven't been able to check it all out yet.
Does any of this ring any bells for you?
I had a letter some years ago which I am trying to locate which referred to there being two Abrahams, father and son, one of whom was abnormally tall.  Perhaps this might confirm this potential link.
all the best
Rosie
Armstrong-Kilrea area
Sloan - Kilrea
Irwin - Lisnagrot
Nelson - Killymuck
Boggs - Kilrea
Stewart -  Killymuck

Offline radnor37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 00:38 GMT (UK) »
I am most interested in these Irwin families, but I'm having trouble figuring out this Roots Chat and the message that come back to me...I wish I could get help from someone on how this forum works...

Barbara Lewis

Offline morewind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Barbara
I'm not too good on how the forum work but am happy to gve info on the Irwins  I am related to if that is a help?
My line comes from Robert Irwin (bca 1780 in Lisnagrot) who married Martha McGregor.
Their daughter Margaret b1806 married Thomas Sloan in Kilrea 1826.  They also had sons Robert and John, I think.
Thomas and Margaret had a daughter Esther (b 1832) who marred John McNeill (after emigrating to Australia) in 1855.
 I have more information on these various intersecting families if you are interested.
Rosie
Armstrong-Kilrea area
Sloan - Kilrea
Irwin - Lisnagrot
Nelson - Killymuck
Boggs - Kilrea
Stewart -  Killymuck

Offline radnor37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Rosie, thank you so much for your response...and this is the first one that I received that I could access......I need to get more info from you on the Irwins, but how do I write to you off this list..is there any way?
Barbara Lewis

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 07:38 GMT (UK) »
radnor 37,
               You can contact any lister by clicking the little green scroll under their name and then sending them a personal message (PM). As long as you both have made at least three postings the system will work.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline radnor37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 26 November 11 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for that helpful informtion......
Barbara

Offline kski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 28 November 11 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Just looking at the names I assume these people are from the Kilrea area of Northern Ireland,
Also that Rosie in Australia has replied to you since I know that both of us are related to the Irwin families. Also POK who I have met up with on her last visit to Ireland. 
Please note this is my first posting so I need two more before you can contact me.