Author Topic: McNeill, Armstrong, Sloan, Irwin  (Read 19508 times)

Offline morewind

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McNeill, Armstrong, Sloan, Irwin
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 September 08 13:28 BST (UK) »
The only Sloan Bolton I have in my tree married Nancy Pollock who was born in 1937.  Nancy was the daughter of Thomas James Pollock and Sarah Rowe
Do you have any other details?
Thanks
Rosie
McNeill - Moynock, Kilrea, Eden
Armstrong-Kilrea area
Sloan - Kilrea
Irwin - Lisnagrot
Pollock -Tamlaght O'crilly, Drumoolish
Nelson - Killymuck
Boggs - Kilrea
Stewart -  Killymuck

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 September 08 13:46 BST (UK) »
There have been several Sloan Boltons in Kilrea area over the years. This might be the one Dinny mentioned:
Sloan BOLTON born c1819 son of William BOLTON + Peggy SLOAN (dau. of William SLOAN). Sloan BOLTON married Mary Anne McIlwrath and had family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dinny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 September 08 06:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Rosie, Thank you for your reply.     

There is a  Sloan Bolton b. c.1940 but I have no knowledge of a wife for him.  My source may not have had knowledge of a wife.   Is this your man? There are Sloans, Armstrongs, Rowes, Irwins, Stewarts in my knowledge but no McNeils nor Pollocks.   Do you have no earlier knowledge of your Sloan?   What about his parents’ Christian name – this may help me identify him if he is in my lot.   Aghadowey was correct in the advice given to you – there are a number of Sloan Boltons and those whose first two Christian names are Sloan Bolton…..

You do not say whether Co Derry is the source or death place of your Sloan Bolton whose wife was b. in 1937.  I see you are in Australia – my g.grandmother’s brother immigrated to Australia from Kilrea.  Their father was another Sloan Bolton. 

I have noticed there was a great deal of intermarriage between the people of Kilrea, Co Derry and surrounding areas.  The same connections continued amongst those who immigrated.   A lot of folk were connected to the Boltons.

You do not disclose your connection to your Sloan Bolton.   
 Regards – Dinny.   

Offline morewind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 September 08 09:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your response Dinny.  Unfortunately I don't have a lot on Sloan Bolton.  All I know is that he married Nancy Pollock, daughter of Thomas Pollock(b1909) who was the son of Robert Pollock (b 1865), son of Smyth Pollock (b1828) son of Robert Pollock (b 1778).  At least that is according to the information I have collected so far.  I tend to believe there must be a generation between the last 2!.  They are my husband's line and emigrated to Australia around the 1850/60s.  They appear to based around Drumoolish, Tamlaght O'Crilly
My interest in the Sloans comes from Thomas Sloan (b 1800) who married Margaret Irwin (1806) whose daughter Esther is my GG Grandmother.  I think Thomas came from Moneygran. Esther married John McNeill, son of Abraham who is buried in the Kilrea Church of Ireland.  There must be some link between the families as Lizzie Boggs, who came from Ireland in 1907 and married John Pollock ,stayed with the McNeill family in Sydney when she first arrived in Australia.
I have been in contact with other descendants of the McNeills who came to Australia, but we haven't been able to solve some of the problems - like what relation was Thomas McNeill to Abraham McNeill - their graves are adjacent in Kilrea church of Ireland. 
I hope to come to Ireland next year, hopefully to find some answers, although I fear they may be lost in the mists of time!
Any assistance would be most welcome - it is kind of hard trying to sort all this out from OZ!
All the best
Rosie
McNeill - Moynock, Kilrea, Eden
Armstrong-Kilrea area
Sloan - Kilrea
Irwin - Lisnagrot
Pollock -Tamlaght O'crilly, Drumoolish
Nelson - Killymuck
Boggs - Kilrea
Stewart -  Killymuck

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 September 08 10:47 BST (UK) »
Dinny- to answer the question in your pm:

Peggy Sloan married William Bolton and their son Sloan Bolton was born c1819 so Peggy Sloan was probably born c1800 or earlier.
Robert Sloan married 1852 to Ellen Irwin so it not likely that Peggy Sloan and Robert Sloan were siblings.

Robert Sloan's marriage certificate should list his father's name and occupation. There will be no marriage certificate for Peggy Sloan and if there is a church record still in existence it might not list her father's name (usually marriages in early 1800s listed names of bride and groom, date of marriage and sometimes the names of two witnesses).

Sloan is a common name in Kilrea area.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dinny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 September 08 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Rosie – Thanks for your reply.  I am a Kiwi.

Over the course of the next couple of weeks I am sending off some info. to an Irish Bolton contact.  I will make some enquries at that time re. the Sloan b. c. 1940 who has a connection to both the contact and myself.  Other info I have on this Sloan does not mention a spouse or any other personal info.  I shall get back to you.   Regards – Dinny.   

Offline dinny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 19 September 08 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Aghadowey – Thank you for your reply re. Peggy Sloan.  I notice on various sites on Sloans in the US (with origins Co. Derry) there seems to be a number of Letitia Sloans – not the same one of course – but it does make me wonder if Letitia and Sloan were a common combination related to one particular line of Sloans from Derry.   Been nice talking to you.  Regards – Dinny. 

Offline ChrisSW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Dinny.

I've just joined RootsChat so I've only just found your message. Have a look here on my family tree website - http://www.dunblanewilsons.org/wilsonfamilytree/719.htm

My maternal grandmother was a Bolton. She was sister to a Sloan Bolton who emigrated to Australia. He was portrayed in the Australian film "The Lighthorseman" where his nickname was "Scotty" Bolton.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Offline ChrisSW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 October 08 09:49 BST (UK) »
Dinny,

Thanks for the personal message - I will reply to that.

Chris