Author Topic: Indian Military Academy  (Read 1163 times)

Offline maryd

• My emails are not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Indian Military Academy
« on: Saturday 30 August 08 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have photo of Indian Military Academy course 26 - 12 platoon - company D Sept - Dec 1945, taken by Goyal Studios, Dehra Dun, featuring my father, and would be interested in any info about the platoon/ company / service.
Have tried to scan the photo but quality v poor, and still in original frame so reluctant to break seal on back.
However, managed to scan photo of Dad - Phil Denvir in the middle - with 2 friends, at a slightly better quality, and would be happy to copy original to any relatives of his 2 friends. Again, in original frame, and hard to scan without dissecting frame. It might be worth opening at least one frame to see if names are included on the back?????
Mary
Denvir/ Denver anywhere - Cumberland/ Ireland
Lowery Cumberland
Bruce Cumberland
Downey Ireland
Christie
Graham Cumberland
Gribbin/ Gribben Isle of Man
Hebditch
O'Connor Cumberland
Vickers Cumberland

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
Re: Indian Military Academy
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 August 08 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary

Is this Philip Denvir (Service Number 362795) (Cadet Number 14832315)? His commissioning in December 1945 was with the Border Regiment as 2nd Lt, and then Lt in the Royal Artillery in 1947.

I'm not sure where the records of the IMA pre-Independence are kept but I would have thought it was TNA (Kew). Between 1941 and 1945, over 3000 officer cadets passed out of the Academy, and it is still India's Sandhurst.

If you could get hold of the names of the other two, then we could look on the LG

A

Offline maryd

• My emails are not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Indian Military Academy
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 August 08 21:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks, KYT, it is indeed the same Philip Denvir. I dont have the names of the other 2, but have a photo of the whole platoon, with some sort of shield/ trophy, which some one might recognise. The trouble is that the scan quality is poor without removing the frame. Will have another go!
I just thought that if anyone recognised either of the other 2, it might be nice to send a copy of the photo. Also have other memorabilia from my father's time in India, even his travelling trunk, with his name/ number stencilled on!
Mary
Denvir/ Denver anywhere - Cumberland/ Ireland
Lowery Cumberland
Bruce Cumberland
Downey Ireland
Christie
Graham Cumberland
Gribbin/ Gribben Isle of Man
Hebditch
O'Connor Cumberland
Vickers Cumberland