Author Topic: Photos of Old Dalbeth Cemetery  (Read 72391 times)

Offline paulsplace2009

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Photos of Old Dalbeth Cemetery
« Reply #45 on: Friday 22 January 10 23:24 GMT (UK) »
what a great thread......i hate to see a graveyard left to crumble.....

what happend at this graveyard?it looks like it has been wrecked by thugs...is this the case?
REID
BROWN
KERR
COPELAND

GLASGOW AND ARGYLL
KERR - ANDERSTON(GLASGOW) & ARGYLL
REID/BROWN - GOVAN
COPELAND - GLASGOW

IRELAND
LEITCH
DUFFY

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 23 January 10 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,

No it was left unattended for nearly 100 years by the catholic Church who owns and operates it. It became overgrown with tree's and Ivy until a few years ago when the present groundsmen of the remaining cemetery St Peter's took it in hand. They have done a fabtastic job to get it even to where it is today working when they have space and with no additional help with funds etc.
Its a shame it was allowed to get to the condition it was in but its great to see it being looked after once again.

Gerry
Farrell / Mcpolan / Devlin / Flood / Kelly/ McGovern/ McCormick
Letham / Leatham / Cattanach/ ODonnell/ BoyleRoss/ McLeod
McAnaw/McInaw/McNay/ Finn/ Eliott
Pollock / Hyslop/ Elder/ Renfrew/ Hart/ Brydon

Motherwell / Anderson / Tradeston / Govan/ Bridgegate/ Aberdeen / Old Machar/ Lanarkshire/ Leadhills/ Penpont/ Muirkirk

1st Royals

Offline Fiona Hemsley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 08:56 BST (UK) »
I have recently found a letter from my grandmother to Rt Rev Mgr John ritchie dated 2/2/1918 in which she refersto Dalbeth Cemetery as being the family burying-place, so I ws saddened to see the 2008 pictures of the state of disrepair.  It is wonderful that the current groundman has done so much to restore it.  I have looked at the list of names from headstones and cannot see either Farquharson or McConnell among them, my 2x great grandmother Jane (or Jean) McConnell died in 1853 and her husband John Bridge Farquharson died in 1876.  I have had real problems tracing Jane McConnell's family and don't knwo for certain who her parents were I had hoped that finding her headstone might solve the problem but it looks unlikely now.

Many thanks

Fiona

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona,

I have looked at my records and dont have anything listed for those surnames either.
I have sent you a PM on the subject

Gerry

Motherwell / Anderson / Tradeston / Govan/ Bridgegate/ Aberdeen / Old Machar/ Lanarkshire/ Leadhills/ Penpont/ Muirkirk

1st Royals

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 13 May 10 04:17 BST (UK) »
I just came across these pictures as I googled research while looking for the Grave Yard that my ggg Grandmother Catherine Mullen was buried in.  I was shocked,  I wonder if she is somewhere in that mess.   All the death record says is that she was buried in Dalbeth Cemetery in 1859.  I just wonder if that means that she is in that section?    Thank you for taking the pictures.   
Elliot, Mullen, Colquhoun, Smith, Moore, Coleman, Marshall, Hall, Dale, Galbraith, Cathcart, Gibson, Taylor, Lawson McGeachie, Caldwell

Scotland, West Lothian  Lanarkshire, Paisley, Glasgow,  Ireland,  Armagh, Donegal

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 14 May 10 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Montana,

Going by the year of her death I would say she will probably be buried in this section.
I've looked through the list of the gravestones and there is no stone listing her name.
The registers are at the Scottish catholic Archives and should be on Scotland's People later this year.

Gerry

1st Royals

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 14 May 10 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hey!  Thank you very much.  I am sure the headstone is long gone, if she even got one. 
Her Death record just said buiral place as Dalbeth.  I did write to them.  I was  hoping to find her husband Francis as he has vanished. I noticed you were doing research on Elliotts?  You wouldn't happen to have any born in Ireland do you?  Thanks again for taking the time to photograph those pictures.  Sure wish I could have gone there.  Even thou it is in great need of repair, it gives us an insight into the past, which is treasure in it self. 

Montana
Elliot, Mullen, Colquhoun, Smith, Moore, Coleman, Marshall, Hall, Dale, Galbraith, Cathcart, Gibson, Taylor, Lawson McGeachie, Caldwell

Scotland, West Lothian  Lanarkshire, Paisley, Glasgow,  Ireland,  Armagh, Donegal

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 14 May 10 22:22 BST (UK) »
Your Welcome,

And yes the Elliots in my family were from Dublin

1st Royals

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 14 May 10 23:13 BST (UK) »
All I know about mine is that John Elliott was born in Donegal, Ireland 1847 To James Elliott and Catherine Colquhoun.  I don't know anything about James   I only know Catherine's Parents.  I am having trouble with anyone born in Ireland.