Author Topic: Mulvihill in Roscommon  (Read 4934 times)

Janetell

Mulvihill in Roscommon
« on: Monday 01 September 08 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hello all
My mother in law was Margaret Mary MULVIHILL born 1924, the youngest daughter of John Timothy MULVIHILL and Kate SHILNEENY or SHILHEENY.  They had a small farm in Rushfields, near Creggs, Roscommon.  I have found John Timothy aged 17 on the 1901 census with his Uncle Martin MULVIHILL and Aunt Mary.  There was also a 25 year old nephew called Thomas MULVIHILL.  We attended Margaret's funeral in 1977 but cannot remember the name of the graveyard.  I would love to find out a bit more about John Timothy and Kate.

Janet

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mulvihill in Roscommon
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 September 08 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Janet,
welcome to Rootschat. Whilst trying to find out something of the family, I have noticed your searches on other sites so you may well have tried to locate the births and marriage details.
I just found this site which mentions cemeteries:
http://www.strandnet.com/creggs/

You should be able to locate the marriage of John Timothy and Kate and his birth through Irish records. Some LDS Family History Centres have the Irish Indexes - the one near me does but I understand that at others you have to order the microfilms in which case you need to be fairly sure of the years you need.

I can't find anywhere the surname Shilneeny/Shilheeny - there are some Kilkenny  ???

best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Janetell

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Heywood :)
Many thanks for the reply and the lovely welcome.  I have had a look at the Creggs site; I remember walking to the village from Rushfields in the dark; it was supposed to be a mile but it took ages!  I have had another look at the birth certificate; Kate's surname is hard to read but it does seem to begin with an 'S'.  I couldn't find an example of Shilneeny/Shilheeny anywhere either.

I think the best thing to do is to order a new copy of this birth certificate; maybe then I will be able to read Kate's surname.

I will try our local LDS centre; maybe they can help.

Best wishes

Janet

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 10:02 BST (UK) »
good luck!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Janetell

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello again
At last I have deciphered my mother in law's mother's maiden name to be Kate KILNEENEY; it may also be spelt KILKENNY.  Margaret MULVIHILL born 16 February 1924 (died 19 August 1971) was born at Derryhippo, Roscommon, to John MULVIHILL and Kate KILNEENEY.  John was a farmer and he and Kate also had daughters, Bridget, Ellen (Nelly), Ann (Nancy) and Kate.  Lots of cousins there somewhere!  I am afraid that's all we know so if anyone is also researching this family you are more than welcome to join in.
Regards
Janet

Offline shellymanelli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 March 09 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Am trying to find out more about my family tree. I believe my grand-mother Janet Kilkenny orginated from Frenchpark in Roscommon? I am led to believe that her mother may have started life as Bridget Lafferty or Laverty. Does anyone have any infortmation that may help me?
Thanks
Shelly