Author Topic: Elizabeth GAUNDERN birth Northampton please  (Read 6157 times)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Elizabeth GAUNDERN birth Northampton please
« on: Tuesday 28 March 06 16:53 BST (UK) »
Still trying to find the birth of Elizabeth Gaudern who according to her marriage cert  had a father John who was a bootmaker. From censuses and certs it would seem that she was born in Northampton around 1825.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Gaudern birth Northampton please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Ringrose

There is an Elizabeth aged 16 in Castle St no other family members?
What do you think. !!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 07:40 BST (UK) »
Yes I had found her thereI believe in 1841 before her marriage to a Samuel Ringrose. She was with the Hillyer family and Hannah was a Gaudern before her marriage.
Thanks again

Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 April 06 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Ringrose

I have an Elizabeth Gaudern, bit too early for yours, but it's such an unusual surname.

Elizabeth Gaudern married William Linnell 4 August 1825 at Cottesbrooke.

As yet haven't been able to find out anything about her, she was born c1807 Cottesbrooke.  There are two on the IGI but have discounted them (can't remember why!)  ???

Susan  :)
Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 April 06 11:32 BST (UK) »
The Gauderns are a very elusive lot and I have got no further. It may be that the spelling of the name changed  maybe to Gordon or other variants. I am now wondering whether the family came from Northants even though my Elizabeth was born and married inNorthampton. Her father John was a bootmaker and could have come to N/H for work. There seem to be quite a few in the Peterborough area.
Any way one day perhaps we will both have a breakthrough.

Ringrose

Offline samantha zoe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 November 06 16:38 GMT (UK) »
have you tried doing a general search on ancestry
from SAM
Bedford:wildman
bucks:longhurst
northant:hollowell, tansley
London:Clark or clarker
othernames:cook, voss

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 November 06 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sam

Thanks for your interest.   The one I am tracing, Elizabeth Gaudern (married name Linnell) have on all census until she died 3rd January 1871.

In the new year am going to search parish records for earlier information.

Regards

Susan  :)
Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 November 06 17:31 GMT (UK) »
My Elizabeth Gaudern had married by 1851 . Although I know her father was John there are more than one possibility in the area . In 1851 she is living in Castle Street witha Hannah Hillyer. Hannah was a Gaudern so maybe Johns sister. I dont know.Ther are lots of Gauderns in Hanslope and a few in Earls Barton.
Ringrose

Offline Sleepless2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth GAUNDERN birth Northampton please
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  I have come to this Elizabeth Gaudern and John Linnell discussion rather late, but I have this to add:
I was researching William Gaudern who was the Administrator for the affairs of an ancestor (his sister I think) in 1851, and I discovered him living with his wife Alice and unmarried daughter Harriet (born 1808) in South Kilworth, in the census of 1851.  I  looked for them again in 1861 (by which time I guess William and Alice were dead, though there's no death certificates to be found - goodness me these Gauderns are indeed elusive) and there was the same Harriet 10 years older, still unmarried and living with a farmer called John Linnell and his wife Elizabeth in Sulby.  It is a fair guess that Elizabeth was Harriet's married sister and I am therefore able to tell you who Elizabeth Linnell's Gaudern grandparents were. 

They were Stephen Gaudern married to Frances Weldon (1739 - after 1813) of Duddington.  I can only be certain of this from family wills because the Gauderns seem to be allergic to all records.  I had not known they had a son called William until I looked in the wills and probate section of Find My Past, but they did have a son called James, and a James William Gaudern died in the Oundle district in 1862.  This last bit is only a guess, but it is definite that William Gaudern of South Kilworth was a very close relative of Frances Weldon (nee Gaudern), who was definitely a daughter of Stephen and Frances Gaudern (nee Weldon).  If you are muddled it is because the Weldons were dead keen on marrying their first cousins.

Hope this helps