Author Topic: Elizabeth GAUNDERN birth Northampton please  (Read 6158 times)

Offline Sleepless2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth GAUNDERN birth Northampton please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Amend that.  Elizabeth Gaudern was married to William Linnell (not John)

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sleepless2 and welcome to RootsChat  :D

Thank you, thank you, brickwalls tumbling down!

I had the 1851 census details after finding Harriet lodging with Elizabeth in Sulby 1861 but hadn't definitely linked them, as Elizabeth had given her place of birth as Cottesbrooke, Northants, where she married William Linnell.

William and Elizabeth were my paternal 3x grt.grandparents and now, with the additional informaton you have given, will be able to research further back.

Regards

Susan  :)

Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Sleepless2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear from you.  Obviously, it is not 100% yet, but it seems very very likely they are related, in which case you have got a close connection with my Stephen Gaudern who married Frances Weldon.  Their daughter Frances (19 July 1763 - 8 March 1851) was widowed by 1851 and childless (she was the third wife of my ancestor who was her first cousin) and aged 87.  Harriet Gaudern's father William of South Kilworth was her Administrator, aged 73, so he must have been closely related.  The dates I have for the family suggest a younger brother is 100% more likely than a nephew.  He might have been a cousin I suppose (less likely).

I am very puzzled by this branch of the family.  The Weldons were well to do and London-based who married into the very-well established and landed family of Jackson of Duddington (hence their presence in Duddington), and yet there is a Weldon Gaudern, who can only be a grandson of Stephen and Frances with an unusual name like that, who was a Gamekeeper.  And all the Gauderns I have found at Apethorpe (by surfing the web), who definitely bear the same family Christian names that repeat and repeat amongst my Weldons, seem relatively impoverished and close to the land.

So on the one hand, there are a whole load of closely connected Gauderns, some of whom are farmers of very few acres, others gamekeepers and others agricultural labourers, and yet Stephen Gaudern had Weldon nieces, who married into the family of Marsh/Fludyer, several of whom were MPs and one was Lord Mayor of London, who left an estate of £900,000 in 1768!! (He was a clothier and then Deputy Governor of the Bank of England)

It may simply be the difference between town and country at that time.  It was not a good time to have your wealth tied up in farming.

Quite a few of the Weldons left wills (and I think there are more to be found) with bequests to their Gaudern nieces and nephews, so I will let you know if I find anymore

All good wishes from Sleepless 2!

Offline Sleepless2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 17:39 GMT (UK) »
PS from Sleepless 2.

I am almost certain William must have been the brother of Frances Weldon nee Gaudern, because Frances had a very able 40 year old stepson, who could easily have been the |Administrator of her estate and lived much closer than William Gaudern of South Kilworth and was a more suuitable age to be running about, which suggests that William Gaudern must have been a very very close relation.

Also, to help you on your way, I only found out that the Frances married to James Marsh Weldon was Frances Gaudern, when I found the Apethorpe site listing all the births marriages and deaths at Apethorpe, which is where they were married in 1814.  In other words, this branch of the Gauderns has a very definite Apethorpe connection.  It must have been where Frances was living, because James M Weldon lived in London.  And as she was a spinster until she is 51, she must have been living there with her mother (father died 1800, I think, in Apethorpe) or a brother/sister.

Offline Sleepless2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 January 07 00:08 GMT (UK) »
I have had a real go at the Gaudens this evening.  William Gaudern of South Kilworth was born at Moubray Lawn, Northamptonshire, but it is almost impossible to decipher, without some sort of pointer, which I  have now got because I have now found another of my Gauderns who says he was born at Moubray Lawn Lodge, Apethorpe.  In other words William Gaudern of South Kilworth is definitely the son (the youngest possibly) of Stephen Gaudern and Frances Weldon (1739 -1818 Apethorpe).

What I am almost sure happened is that the eldest son (or eldest surviving son) James, born 1760, got the land or whatever wealth was going, or more likely married a rich wife.  His descendants, farmers, seem to have lived fairly comfortably  and kept servants, whereas Stephen (junior) born about 1770 was not so well off, had a large family and within 2 generations they were all fairly impoverished (no land and certainly no servants).  I don't know much about William yet - you may know more - but he seems to have had a bit of land, though not as much as his nephew Stephen (born 1783) and Stephen's son Charles. (The rich branch farmed at Nassington, whereas the impoverished ones either stayed in Apethorpe or went to Kings Cliffe.  William of South Kilworth seems to have kept on the move.)

The fact of the two Stephens (1770 and 1783, the one the uncle of the other) was very muddling until I worked it out.

Hope this helps...

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 January 07 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sleepless

Have been looking at my notes and what I have on William, not much!  Have him and Alice in 1841 at the "Grange", South Kilworth, Harriet also at home, plus three servants.  Thank you for Moubray Lawn, I couldn't decipher that on the 1851!

William and Alice died in 1855.

The next step is parish registers. 

From Musgrave Obituaries there's a Weldon Gaudern of Duddington 31 August 1794;  possible grandfather for Weldon Gaudern - Gamekeeper?

Will PM you my email

Regards

Susan  :)

Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline gcoldham

• RootsChat Extra
  • COLDHAM
    • View Profile
GAUDERN
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hello there,
I tried emailing you this at XXX  but it got rejected.
I saw some of your posts there ref Gaudern back in Apr 2006.

There are a lot of uncanny links between Coldham, Gaudern and Gawdy;
one being in Redenhall, Suffolk where there was a Coldham Hall and a Gawdy Hall.

I should mention that i have FRANE ancestry.
Hence the area of of HANSLOPE-GAYHURST in Buckinghamshire was of prime interest as Gayhurst belonged to a certain Osulf Fil-Frane. I only discovered yesterday there were GAUDERN's in Hanslope, and a Michaelis de Hamslape who was warden of Rockingham Castle (Northants) in 1104-06.

I believe the name GAUDERN might be a corruption of Wardon (wardon) which would have been (Li) GUARDEN after 1066..
Do you know anything about the medieval history of the GAUDERN's?

Osulf Fil Frane's ancestor, Fraena Eorl, also held Rockingham Castle & feoffs in Peterborough; which is in the same area as the later Gaudern families of Northants.
I have many GORDON DNA matches which very probably means that this GAUDERN line was part of my ancestry.

I also do not (yet) understand the cross-linkage between Frane/Gaudern/Gordon & Gawdy.

I would be delighted with any scraps of info on the Gaudern's as I have no info. 

ps: has any male GAUDERN taken a YDNA test? If not, i recommend they do so, i am just setting up a COLDHAM surname page...& can advise them how to get a test at a very discounted price.

Sincerely

Gerard Coldham

London Uk
MODERATOR COMMENT: email addresses removed to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use the secure PM system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.
HAPLOGROUP I1 lines of the following:

Abrincis (Braunches), Andersen, Ellingson, Fleck, Hendricks, Holcomb, Hull, Jansson, Lillemo, Lucas, Luukila, Madsen, Mattson, McLeod, Montalt? Mohaut? Mouat?, Offley, Olsen, Ranta

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: GAUDERN
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerald,

A big welcome to RootsChat.  ;D

I am sorry we no not allow email addresses to be posted, nor identifying information on living persons due to privacy concerns. I have split your post from the gardening thread on the Totally off Topic Bit which is the board where our members take a break from their research and chat about non genealogy things.

I do not know who you are trying to contact. Can you please give me the RootsChatters user name and I will try to place it in the correct location for you. I see most posts concerning the name Gaudern are in Northamptonshire.

I note in our Surname Interests Table

http://surname.rootschat.com/

we have 2 members who have listed an interest in the name

Kind Regards .................Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 01:17 BST (UK) »
Hi again Gerald,

I see both our members who have registered an interest in the name Gaudern have been involved in this thread and as Keziahemm is involved in the Gardening Thread I suspect it may be Susan you are trying to contact ;)

Since you have gone offline I have merged your post to this thread and hopefully this should attract the attention of both of our interested members. To use the PM system you will need to make a couple more posts and then you will be able to share email addresses securely. Sorry for the inconvenience - unfortunately implemented to ensure members were genuine, brought about due to spammers joining and using our PM system for improper purposes.

For links to threads about how to do just about anything on RootsChat including sending a PM please see

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,207046.0.html

All the Best..........Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk